Question about non-matching serial numbers on Arri S...

Simon D Lorady

I am interested in buying a Arri S kit. I have found out the the serial numbers do not match on the camera. I was told that both numbers are supposed to match. NOw, is this a really big deal that they do not, and should I just forget it. Or is it something that is not a big deal at all.

Here is what the kit contains:

1- Arri 16S camera # 11632, 3- Arri Std. lens port turret w/ 2- lens covers, rotary mirror reflex, 0 to 50 tach, footage counter, 1- std eyepeice, 1- Arri motor with a Magnettc sale corp. conversion w/ sync out put. 24 FPS motor at 12V. ( Note there is no power cable) 1- mag port cover, 1- Angenieux 9.5 to 95mm T 2.2 #1158578 zoom lens The lens has a support and a zoom gear crank w/ a zoom wand. All elements are clean, no fungus, no scratches and no coating marks. Lens is in good condition. 3- 400' mags, 1 torque motor drive. The system is in good working condition. There is a Arri Duro pack battery 12V/16V . ( Note: The battery needs new battery cells, there is no voltage, the charger is working and there is a power cable to charge ).

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! I am also looking at a Eclair GV-16. Goes up to 200fps, but need lens and power supply. Anyone know anything about them? I never used one before. Can it be sounds sync set up or no?

Thank you for reading this!

Simon

• Premium Member

Simon,

Buying an Arriflex 16S from eBay

Over the production run of more than twenty-five years, ARRI used a number of different viewfinder optics. What you see through the viewfinder is actually the result of a combination of optics in the camera door and optics in the camera body. These optics were match sets from the factory. If the door from one camera is put with the body of another camera, there are two issues. First, the ground glass setting, which is unique to each camera and set by adjusting the optics in the door to match the optics in the body, will be off, so what you see in focus on the ground glass through the viewfinder will not be in focus on the film plane. This can be corrected by a ARRI service tech if: Second, the door has optics that can be brought into spec with the optics in the body. Some can, some can't. The further apart in the production run the camera and door are from each other, the bigger this second issue can be.

Hope that helps.

Best,

-Tim