Bought a Bolex H-16, worked for a few seconds then stopped??

Hello,

Hi everyone first of all! This is my first post here so I'd like to say hi; I'm a film student studying at Penn State University and I'm really into animation. /end intro :P

Anyway, I just bought my own 16mm camera on eBay very similar to the model we used at school (I really liked it so I bought one :P). It is a Bolex H-16 and that is about all I know (sorry, I'm still quite new). Here is a link to the eBay auction which will give you about as much information as I can provide on the camera: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...alenotsupported

Basically I took it out of the case, cranked it up and it ran for a few seconds. I cranked it again and pressed the button again but nothing happened. It's fully cranked and no matter what knob I turn or lever I switch nothing will make it run. I have no idea what could possibly cause it to do that being that I'm still relatively unfamiliar with the camera. Is it broken or am I just making a simple noobie mistake somewhere? Thanks.

Bowserstein

Jason

First, have you checked if there is any film inside?

If so, the film might be jammed or the loop has been lost and is pulled too tight, blocking evreything.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

No film inside, just the take up spool on the top. I have no idea what could be stopping it from running???

No film inside, just the take up spool on the top. I have no idea what could be stopping it from running???

Check if the "MOT"-"O" lever is set to MOT.

If your camera came with a rewind crank, try this:

Put "MOT"-"O" lever to "O".

Push in side release lever towards "M" and lock.

Insert crank on rewind shaft and try to rotate.

This might free up the mechanism.

If you don't have a crank, try rotating thw sprockets by hand with your thumbs.

If the camera is still stuck, then it is more serious internal problem.

See if the seller will take it back.

Camera will need to be looked at by a technician.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis