Bolex hand grip battery cell size?

Richard Tuohy

Hello all,

i want to make a battery for my bolex hand grip. I have the grip, but no battery to re-cell, so I am starting from scratch with that.

At Digi-Key for instance there are lots of nicad and nimh batteries to choose from. For 12 volts, I need 10 batteries. But i can't work out which phisical size battery cell I need. Surely i am looking for a cell that has a wide diameter, but is only short such that 10 fit stacked together in the handle. But there doesn't seem to be such a size. So what is used for recelling?

many thanks for your help,

richard

Hello all,

i want to make a battery for my bolex hand grip. I have the grip, but no battery to re-cell, so I am starting from scratch with that.

At Digi-Key for instance there are lots of nicad and nimh batteries to choose from. For 12 volts, I need 10 batteries. But i can't work out which phisical size battery cell I need. Surely i am looking for a cell that has a wide diameter, but is only short such that 10 fit stacked together in the handle. But there doesn't seem to be such a size. So what is used for recelling?

many thanks for your help,

richard

Hi Richard,

4/5 A size works well. They are around 1000mAh for the NiCad which is the same capacity of the original Varta cells.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

Hi Richard,

4/5 A size works well. They are around 1000mAh for the NiCad which is the same capacity of the original Varta cells.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

Thanks for that jean-Louis! Much appreciated. The 4/5 A size is 17mm x 43mm. Do you suggest I solder 5 pairs of 2 batteries?

cheers,

richard

Thanks for that jean-Louis! Much appreciated. The 4/5 A size is 17mm x 43mm. Do you suggest I solder 5 pairs of 2 batteries?

cheers,

richard

Yes, it's always preferable to order them pre-assembled (spot-welded) to minimize soldering.

5 pairs of 2 batteries is great; two packs of 5 would be better but I see Digi-Key doesn't offer that configuration.

All you'll need is to make some endcaps for the + and - contacts.

Single-faced copper-plated blank PC board material is good for this.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

Thanks for your help Jean-Louis,

in the end I ordered Nimh cells, even though I think you don't advocate them. In Nimh I was able to get 4/5A packs of 5 instead of 2. So I ordered 2 x 5packs. I also ordered 2 x 8aa packs for my CP-16 which you suggested on another thread. Good idea about the pcb material for battery ends.

thanks again,

richard

Thanks for your help Jean-Louis,

in the end I ordered Nimh cells, even though I think you don't advocate them. In Nimh I was able to get 4/5A packs of 5 instead of 2. So I ordered 2 x 5packs. I also ordered 2 x 8aa packs for my CP-16 which you suggested on another thread. Good idea about the pcb material for battery ends.

thanks again,

richard

I think NiMH cells are great but the original chargers for NiCads become very slow, almost trickle chargers when used to charged up the higher capacity NiMH.

However, if you can find an updated charger, then you're in business.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis