K3 spring stuck/Trigger won't release

Colum O Dwyer

A friend bought a Super-16 converted K3 a few weeks ago and he wound it up without a load in - the only thing he succeeded in doing it seems is jamming the spring and now it won't release when the button is pressed. I've taken it on myself to try to repair the camera.

I've found a website [here] that seems to suggest that disassembling the front assembly and "gently knocking on the gears" may solve the problems.

I feel I should ask if anyone had any similar experiences with the k3 before I go fiddling.

I've also noticed that nothing happens in the mag chamber when the trigger is pressed.

If we had money we'd send the camera to someone like Lee Bosher, but since it only cost €200 in the 1st place it seems a tad excessive.

Thanks.

- Colum.

A friend bought a Super-16 converted K3 a few weeks ago and he wound it up without a load in - the only thing he succeeded in doing it seems is jamming the spring and now it won't release when the button is pressed. I've taken it on myself to try to repair the camera.

I've found a website [here] that seems to suggest that disassembling the front assembly and "gently knocking on the gears" may solve the problems.

I feel I should ask if anyone had any similar experiences with the k3 before I go fiddling.

I've also noticed that nothing happens in the mag chamber when the trigger is pressed.

If we had money we'd send the camera to someone like Lee Bosher, but since it only cost €200 in the 1st place it seems a tad excessive.

Thanks.

- Colum.

I worry, this is do not problem with start-stop trigger and do not need take away of front panel of body.

At first, need check of main cog's wheel and rollers near cog's wheel.

The matter is that, the cogs of cog's wheel can jamed on body of rollers.

May be, the position of cog's wheel adjust do not correct and cogs do not go at cuts of rollers.

I worry, this is do not problem with start-stop trigger and do not need take away of front panel of body.

At first, need check of main cog's wheel and rollers near cog's wheel.

The matter is that, the cogs of cog's wheel can jamed on body of rollers.

May be, the position of cog's wheel adjust do not correct and cogs do not go at cuts of rollers.

Thanks for the reply Olex. I will look at the cogs and see if they are jammed before I try to take away the front panel.

Thanks very much.

- Colum.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the reply Olex. I will look at the cogs and see if they are jammed before I try to take away the front panel.

Thanks very much.

- Colum.

I finally opened up the K3 and looked at the cogs and the spring mechanism - they were free. When I took off the piece that covers the inner workings (which includes the claws that stop the spring from winding back) the spring released it's tension - but the problem still remains - The trigger doesn't do anything, but I was unable to see 1) how it worked at all and 2) if anything was wrong.

It's very strange.

I finally opened up the K3 and looked at the cogs and the spring mechanism - they were free. When I took off the piece that covers the inner workings (which includes the claws that stop the spring from winding back) the spring released it's tension - but the problem still remains - The trigger doesn't do anything, but I was unable to see 1) how it worked at all and 2) if anything was wrong.

It's very strange.

If you wish to check of start-stop trigger, you need open of front panel of camera.

The main front part of body cover of thin plate with LOGO and glue to main front body.

You need take away of thin plate and after, you can unscrew of 4 screws and open of front panel of body.

The trigger included flat plate with pins and gear with pins.

The pins on flat plate jam of pins on gear and mechanism set at shop.

After you press on start stop button, the flat plate move and pins set free and mechanism to run.