New Red Music Video

John Brawley

Hey Jb,

Nice work!

I was reading your rant about the budget and it is all a too familiar situation these days.

Unless its U2, Madonna etc...its all about poop money without letting that compromise the standard of output.

I've been thinking of enrolling in the Magic Circle..... ^_^

Hi John, thanks for writing about how you made the video. It looks good, very moody. I always like seeing some interplay between different colours of light, in this case the cool tones of the night interior and the fish tank room contrasted with the warm light that comes near the end. Two slight criticisms for you, #1 your website looks good but the text is a little hard to read, white (or is it very light grey?) on a black background is difficult. #2 and this is probably nit picking but I felt the two lights coming from behind her through the window in the night lounge room scene were too bright. They are exposing almost white on the window and I think they would have looked nicer & suited the mood better a bit dimmer and bluer.

• Premium Member

Beautiful work, John. It's refreshing to see cinematography that looks natural and not overly graded! Lovely natural skin tones for 3200K. Kinda had that old school Ridley Scott look in the beginning. Love the Spike Lee shot at the end, how much did you overcrank that?

• Premium Member
#1 your website looks good but the text is a little hard to read, white (or is it very light grey?) on a black background is difficult. #2 and this is probably nit picking but I felt the two lights coming from behind her through the window in the night lounge room scene were too bright. They are exposing almost white on the window and I think they would have looked nicer & suited the mood better a bit dimmer and bluer.

Can't d much about #1. It's been setup that way by my web guy, but thanks for the feedback.

Yes#2 is the biggest disappointment for me. Im nearly 100% on the day it wasn't overexposed this way. The warmer stuff later on is fine. Even the CU's in the blue look seem fine. I may have just screwed up, but I also something went amiss elsewhere in the pipe, because it wasn't the intention to go that far on the day. I usually monitor in REC 709 and have a shortcut switch to flip over to raw. I often meter in RAW and use false colour in RAW to see where everything is sitting. Might have got stitched putting something outside of REC 709....

thanks for the notes.

jb

• Premium Member
Beautiful work, John. It's refreshing to see cinematography that looks natural and not overly graded! Lovely natural skin tones for 3200K. Kinda had that old school Ridley Scott look in the beginning. Love the Spike Lee shot at the end, how much did you overcrank that?

Hi satsuki..Thanks for the words...

we did a pair bit of overcranking, but not at a very high rate..it was 36 FPS only....

There was a lot of warmth built into the image, especially with the lighting. The tungsten stuff was keyed with dimmed lamps, and often with 1/2 CTS on it as well....doesn't so up much on the RED though !

jb