Removing audio with WMM?

Patrick Cooper

I'm editing some footage with possible inclusion in a band's music video clip. I hope not too many people here will frown on me but I'm using Windows Movie Maker (it's the only NLE software that I currently have access to on this laptop.) There is audio already on this footage which I need to remove. I followed advice from another forum and clicked on the + sign on the left which split the clip into seperate video and audio streams on the time line. However, when I highlighted the audio stream and deleted it, this simultaneously deleted the video as well. I guess I must be doing this the wrong way! Is there a straightforward way of removing audio from video with WMM?

• 3 weeks later...

You can't REMOVE it in WMM per se, but you can mute the audio clip and add a different soundtrack or do a voiceover narration. To do, click the + button on the timeline that you used before to make the audio portion of your video clip visible. Now right click on the audio track and select "Mute." Presto. Now you can go back and drop the sound you want in your audio/music line.

Hope it helps!