Cinematography magazines

Daniel Moore

There are so many magazines on film and cinematography, but they obviously don't discuss the same subjects. I just bought a copy of American Cinematographer and I am wondering if anyone recommends it, or if anyone could recommend another magazine....?

If you could also give me some summaries of what each magazine discusses that would be great.

• Premium Member
There are so many magazines on film and cinematography, but they obviously don't discuss the same subjects. I just bought a copy of American Cinematographer and I am wondering if anyone recommends it, or if anyone could recommend another magazine....?

If you could also give me some summaries of what each magazine discusses that would be great.

American Cinematographer is excellent. I would wager that most of the regulars here have large back collections of the magazine that they refer to often. I know I do.

The only other cinematography magazine I read is ICG.

Edited by Chris Keth

American Cinematographer is the classic motion picture cinematography magazine. Take the info for what it's worth, something usually gets lost in the translation, but overall, its a great self-educational tool. DV, Videomaker, Videography and others of that sort focus on digital image gathering...

By the way, (shameless plug) I am selling my nearly 100 issue collection of Am. Cin. spanning 20 years for $50 bucks. Any takers? L.A./ Valley

jb @ jblfilms.com (delete spaces)

American Cinematographer is the classic motion picture cinematography magazine. Take the info for what it's worth, something usually gets lost in the translation, but overall, its a great self-educational tool. DV, Videomaker, Videography and others of that sort focus on digital image gathering...

By the way, (shameless plug) I am selling my nearly 100 issue collection of Am. Cin. spanning 20 years for $50 bucks. Any takers? L.A./ Valley

jb @ jblfilms.com (delete spaces)

I'm interested in them. My collection goes back to March of 1946 and I am missing the last few years. Where do you live? LA? I'm out of town and won't be back until Oct 1st ish.