Which onboard monitor has the best peaking?

Hey everyone, first time poster in here.

So, that's the question. Which is the best?

I'm currently working on an HD series and we're using older "Astro" on board monitors with the F35 cameras. We move so fast and mostly without a rehersal that the "peaking" has become our newest tape measure. I'm considering buying my own monitor so I can ease my suffering a bit. The rental house says they're "out" of the newer models so we can't even get one to test.

Anyone like to offer up some opinions?

Thanks

Steve B

Hey Steve!

I was going to mention the monitor that David posted: Panasonic BT-LH80WU.

It has a red peaking mode which makes it pretty east to pull off of in a pinch. I think Chater might have one.

Jamie

(camera PA when we shot in justin herman plaza)

• Premium Member
Hey Steve!

I was going to mention the monitor that David posted: Panasonic BT-LH80WU.

It has a red peaking mode which makes it pretty east to pull off of in a pinch. I think Chater might have one.

IIRC you can even choose the color for peaking! I also liked the 1:1 zoom mode and the ability to select one of nine regions like a tic tac toe board for zoom in. Built in WFM isn't bad either.

Cheers, Dave

Keep the ideas coming guys, thanks

The monitor shoot out was interesting but it's not a "brightness" issue that's the main problem, it's peaking. I need more of it in low light, long lens, WFO situations. Now if I could get peaking on my brothers Ultra2 monitor, THAT would rock ;)

I'm not yet a fan of "red" peaking, it's not a natural occurrance so it doesn't quickly (during a take) make sense. I recently looked at a "marshal" with red peaking, and according to it, everything was in focus 'cause everything was shimmering in red. I'm not against red, it just needs to be better defined.

I'll look around and see if I can find that Panasonic in a Demo model to test.

Edited by Steve Bellen

• Premium Member
Keep the ideas coming guys, thanks

The monitor shoot out was interesting but it's not a "brightness" issue that's the main problem, it's peaking. I need more of it in low light, long lens, WFO situations. Now if I could get peaking on my brothers Ultra2 monitor, THAT would rock ;)

I'm not yet a fan of "red" peaking, it's not a natural occurrance so it doesn't quickly (during a take) make sense. I recently looked at a "marshal" with red peaking, and according to it, everything was in focus 'cause everything was shimmering in red. I'm not against red, it just needs to be better defined.

I'll look around and see if I can find that Panasonic in a Demo model to test.

In the marshall, the peaking tolerance just needed to be turned down. The tolerance was so far up that edges that weren't all that sharp were peaking too. You only want sharp edges to peak.

The red is especially good, because you can turn the peaking way down and still see the peaking areas clearly.

• 5 weeks later...
Hey everyone, first time poster in here.

So, that's the question. Which is the best?

I'm currently working on an HD series and we're using older "Astro" on board monitors with the F35 cameras. We move so fast and mostly without a rehersal that the "peaking" has become our newest tape measure. I'm considering buying my own monitor so I can ease my suffering a bit. The rental house says they're "out" of the newer models so we can't even get one to test.

Anyone like to offer up some opinions?

Thanks

Steve B

Hi Steve,

Absolutely the best is the good old Astro 3014 Monitor or any newer version of that. Forget all the Panasonic, Marshall and Transvideo. Astro has the best resolution (HD-SDI in) and color reproduction, and the 3014 has the best scopes. The panasonic ones look so amateur comparing to these. I work as DIT and often as 1stAC and i wouldn't buy any other than astro - the best one you can rely on in both jobs. For 1st ACs - good resolution, peaking, and excelent image magnification (1x,2x,4x), for DITs - good color reproduction and scopes. You can power it from any camera or V-Lock, Anton Bauer Bateries. But if you think of something different than the monitor to ease your pain look for cinetape or laser measure;)

Never use Panasonic monitors with Sony cameras - they don't have the same gammas. I did a few tests with Panasonic monitors straight from the factory and was never satisfied. Probably they match with Varicams and the rest of Panasonic products.

Good luck

Chris