35 Film Scanner - imagica 3000v Anyone out know anything about it?

Sanj Sharma

Hey guys, I'm looking to set up a 35mm film scanner. I'm looking at buying the imagica 3000v. I've looked everywhere for some literature but there's nothing. Does anyone out there have any info and/or experience on this machine? Or maybe know someone who might?

Sanj

Hey guys, I'm looking to set up a 35mm film scanner. I'm looking at buying the imagica 3000v. I've looked everywhere for some literature but there's nothing. Does anyone out there have any info and/or experience on this machine? Or maybe know someone who might?

Sanj

Try this link here; has a pdf brochure:

http://www.broadcaststore.com/store/model_...il.cfm?id=19876

Looks like a decent option, too bad it can't scan higher than 12bits/color (Arriscan/Northlight can go higher), you may want to figure out how fast it scans (@ 2k and 4k), and according to that pdf it does not scan to 10-bit log DPX files, kind of a standard image format with modern color grading systems (you want to grade with log files, not linear). Take this into account and there might be an extra conversion process needed. I'd give one of the Imagica reps a call and ask these questions before you make such an investment.

• Premium Member
Try this link here; has a pdf brochure:

http://www.broadcaststore.com/store/model_...il.cfm?id=19876

Looks like a decent option, too bad it can't scan higher than 12bits/color (Arriscan/Northlight can go higher), you may want to figure out how fast it scans (@ 2k and 4k), and according to that pdf it does not scan to 10-bit log DPX files, kind of a standard image format with modern color grading systems (you want to grade with log files, not linear). Take this into account and there might be an extra conversion process needed. I'd give one of the Imagica reps a call and ask these questions before you make such an investment.

A bunch of us took on the DIY scan issue for a couple of years. Just about every option was discussed and cross compared. Photo-neg scanners were considered an okay method all except for the limited feed system and the excruciatingly slow scan speeds. You could use scanners with a 100' roll feed and modify that and the software to run cine length rolls. The only way anyone could overcome the scan speed issue was to run multiple scanners and computers. There were a few more issues. But, a few people had some solutions that seemed reasonable.

Does that help any?

I believe this scanner runs about 27 seconds per frame at 2K and 35 seconds at 4K.

-Rob-

Wow that's slow. Or maybe I'm just spoiled. Sanj - If you're going to start a business with this, you better hope your client-base isn't that strong! Any overlapping jobs could really inhibit your workflow.

• Premium Member
I believe this scanner runs about 27 seconds per frame at 2K and 35 seconds at 4K.

-Rob-

That puts the 4K scan time of a feature length with shot handles down to 75 days of scanning assuming perfect efficiency and the operator never sleeps. Practically speaking, given the normal work patterns of a person it would be reasonable to multiply that scan time in days by something around three to five yielding a scan phase of the project to something around 225 to 350 days (2 cine frames per pass will cut all of these numbers in half. four techniscope per pass cuts to one-fourth). Not to say that it is un-doable. Just that neg scanners haven't been considered a practical approach by many in the past, here, because of the scan speed issue.

Maybe for shorts, though.

A bunch of us took on the DIY scan issue for a couple of years. Just about every option was discussed and cross compared. Photo-neg scanners were considered an okay method all except for the limited feed system and the excruciatingly slow scan speeds. You could use scanners with a 100' roll feed and modify that and the software to run cine length rolls. The only way anyone could overcome the scan speed issue was to run multiple scanners and computers. There were a few more issues. But, a few people had some solutions that seemed reasonable.

Does that help any?

Yes it does....thank you

• Site Sponsor
That puts the 4K scan time of a feature length with shot handles down to 75 days of scanning assuming perfect efficiency and the operator never sleeps.

This scanner is from the 90's when a full DI was all but impractical especially at 4K and films like "The Matrix" or "Jurrasic" only scanned the VFX shots and then shot them out to 35mm on a Solitaire or Celco for cutting into the rest of the negative answer print. I think the going rate was $1.00 per frame back when this scanner was new.

It would make a good base for a totally new DIY scanner....

-Rob-

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, I'm looking to set up a 35mm film scanner. I'm looking at buying the imagica 3000v.

Oops I accidentally posted in the wrong thread; should've posted here!

Well, I know it's a long shot, but would anyone happen to have a lead as to where to get a copy of the install disks of the Imagica 3000 V scanner software (IRIX OS)? I have been trying to contact Imagica but to no avail... besides, the software is nearly 15 years old at this point, unless they did updates which I highly doubt... Otherwise, maybe the software was ported to Windows or Mac OS? It's tough to find info on this machine, and even harder to find even the name of the software!

Thanks in advance for any info!

B

• Premium Member

Oops I accidentally posted in the wrong thread; should've posted here!

Well, I know it's a long shot, but would anyone happen to have a lead as to where to get a copy of the install disks of the Imagica 3000 V scanner software (IRIX OS)? I have been trying to contact Imagica but to no avail... besides, the software is nearly 15 years old at this point, unless they did updates which I highly doubt... Otherwise, maybe the software was ported to Windows or Mac OS? It's tough to find info on this machine, and even harder to find even the name of the software!

Thanks in advance for any info!

B

Hi Brandon,

I'd check with the engineering department at post facilities that own or have owned an Imagica. A few years back I considered buying one of Fotokem's Imagicas then changed my mind due to slow scan speeds. It was a newer version than the 3000 v. Maybe check with them? I would also post your question to the "TIG" (telecine internet group) as there's a lot more post geekery going on there.

Good luck! Scanning film properly is no joke.

Paul

• Site Sponsor

Imagica was bought by RTI as part of their film post group, I am pretty sure that they will not support the 3000v though. I do know that it is Irix only and Irix is not a fun OS to play with. If you think about buying one of these beasts it should come with a working SGI workstation with Imagica scan software installed and running. Without the workstation it is basically a very heavy paperweight or the start of a DIY scanner project.

-Rob-