Minolta XL 400 compatability

Andy Pabst

Hello,

I've got a Minolta xl-400 super 8 camera and the instructions specify...

"cartridges of type G color film having a film-speed rating of ASA 160 or of b&w or outdoor-indoor type A color film with daylight ratings of ASA 25 or 100 and tungsten ratings of ASA 40 or 160."

According to my limited knowledge and research, that means I can't use any negative films like the supposedly awesome Kodak Vision2/Vision3 films or the only standard color reversal still made, Ektachrome 64T. Is that the case?

Does this mean I cannot shoot any color films (still available) on this camera?

What available film can I shoot with this camera?

thanks so much, I wanted to finally use my camera to film a friends' wedding this October, I'm afraid I won't be able to!

You can use either VISION 200T or Tri-X with no problem. A slight overexposure, but that's OK. 64T is another thing-- probably not too well.

Ok. So Ektachrome 64T is out of the question.

But any Tungston film with a 200 rating will work, such as "Vision2" (i.e. Tungston 200)?

Can someone please explain to me why this is? From what i've read, it seems like the automatic shutter/light thingy (from my novice understanding of film) is configured for a particular light spectrum, so if you use a tunston rating outside this spectrum, it won't film properly.

Or is it something else? I'm completely amateur, but I have used digital cameras quite a bit.

Ok. So Ektachrome 64T is out of the question.

But any Tungston film with a 200 rating will work, such as "Vision2" (i.e. Tungston 200)?

Can someone please explain to me why this is? From what i've read, it seems like the automatic shutter/light thingy (from my novice understanding of film) is configured for a particular light spectrum, so if you use a tunston rating outside this spectrum, it won't film properly.

Or is it something else? I'm completely amateur, but I have used digital cameras quite a bit.

hey andy,

here you can see how to measure what film your cam can use:

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Super_8_Ca...dge_Notch_Ruler