aspect ratio

steveb40

i know there's probably a thread on this somewhere, but perhaps someone can offer some opinion on this matter.

after finishing a short in regular 16mm, i matted the edited picture in 1:78. since i'm able to adjust the horizon line in fcp the compositions are similar to my orignal 1:33 (although i like the extra vertical space in 1:33). i'm having a tough time deciding on what to do for the finished product. i'm a fan of both; i've scene goddard's recent masterpiece which was 1:33 and found the film thoroughly engaging. also the bergmans from the 60's which are almost all 1:33 affect me greatly. i do, however, love the wider aspect as well.

two factors - composition and image quality, since i'm chopping the original 16 image area when i matte it, correct?

what would some of you do?

should i save the wider aspect for when i have the opportunity to shoot s16?

thanks, - steve blanco

Why didn't you shoot 1.85 to begin with...couldn't afford to rent a S16 camera, or did you feel 1.33 is better for the story?

I say if you composed for 1.33 and never even considered going wider until you discovered a "neat trick" in fcp then stay on 1.33. But, if you wanted a wider look to begin and composed with a wider aspect ration in mind, then maybe you should go wide in fcp.

thanks to both of you for responding. finshed meaning output to dv; no money to go back to film and certainly not 35mm. shot on my K3. i am leaning towards the original 1:33; it feels a bit stronger in original format. i'm just having difficulty making the decision. in a way i wish i didn't have an option...too many tricks.

i'll post when it's complete; maybe you guys could give some feedback.

thanks again!

• Premium Member

1.33 : 1 is the same as 4:3 (divide 4 by 3 and you'll see.) 1.43 : 1 is not any aspect ratio that is used but obviously it's slightly more widescreen than 1.33 : 1.

Same as 1.78 : 1 is the same as 16:9.

"1:33" and "1:43" are completely wrong ways of an expressing aspect ratio -- a frame that is 1 unit tall by 33 units wide would be extremely widescreen!