Help me identify a problem with my Nizo Professional

bexley

Hi all. Super helpful forum and I thought I'd finally register.

I just received my Nizo Professional to replace an Agfa Movexoom and it looks like there may be a problem with the meter.

It seems to behave normally until I start filming, when the f-stop indicator will "pulse" to the right (open) about two stops every second or two, like it's a Geiger counter, guitar tuner or something.

What's going on here? Has anyone heard of this before? Is it something that should be easy to repair? I know a Nizo repairman, but I'll probably be returning it if it's a matter for a serious repair.

Thanks in advance.

(edit: display name confusion, sorry. I used up my two changes and can't change it back now :/)

Edited by bexley

Update:

I also was having the issue of the camera continuing for about a second after I released the trigger and a forum thread suggested the remedy of running the camera's intervalometer for 15 minutes at a time. After a couple times that's already solved the trigger delay and it seems to be solving the meter problem as well. I'm continuing the intervalometer trick a few times since it seems like the circuits really need a work-out.

It seems like this camera just hasn't been used in a long time. The zoom ring is also pretty hard to turn. I hope exercising it will fix that too. I'd rather not drop it off with someone for cleaning and lube, but that may be the wisest choice.

Edited by bexley

hey,

i am not the experienced nizo user (i have a 6080), but for me it sounds like your camera will need an overhaul. if it has not been used for a long time the oil has been gone and dirt (maybe it dwelled for a long time on the attic) travelled inside it.

i dont think you should open the nizo by yourself.... only if its ok for you to break it accidentally or you know what you are doing.

Hmm, disappointing to hear but I know it's good advice for this camera. If I can get a partial refund from the eBay seller to fund the overhaul I'd be okay with this. I know someone who repairs Nizos, but it probably still won't be cheap. Maybe he'll take my Agfa Movexoom as payment.

Hmm, after cleaning the battery terminals and testing again, the metering issue is back. The needle moves really erratically sometimes.

Opening isn't to difficult. However, Nizo silberling are maintenance free. No lubing needed.

The described problem comes from aged degenerated capacitors. The trick with the intervalometer rebuilds the capacitor a bit. Like in aged electronic flash units.

Which ones would be anyone's guess :(

Yep, the motor is disengaged. When engaged the motor can't even turn the zoom ring one bit. Has to be done manually.

In manual mode the needle seems a little less erratic, but when filming it will still bounce. It's all rather inconsistent. After doing the intervalometer "trick" the needle will be steady, but that seems to wear off after a little while.

What does that mean for the prospect and cost of a repair?

And no lube for the lens? Unless there's rust or tons of dirt trapped in there, I don't see how it got so hard to turn.

Apparently the camera is not in such a good condition.

Finding the components to replace is the trick and will take time. I cannot make estimates for others.

If the lens focus-ring doesn't turn easily it either has taken up a lot of dirt or more likely has taken a drop. Which of course the seller didn't mention.

Apparently the camera is not in such a good condition.

Finding the components to replace is the trick and will take time. I cannot make estimates for others.

If the lens focus-ring doesn't turn easily it either has taken up a lot of dirt or more likely has taken a drop. Which of course the seller didn't mention.

Arg. Bad news if this is going to take time: I want to shoot now. An acquaintance here is a Nizo repair guy and once he's back from vacation I'll ask him to give me an estimate. The thing is that the seller disclosed as much as he could about the camera and I really believe he was being honest. He mentioned the ring being difficult to turn, but had no knowledge of the other problems. There isn't any sign of the lens being dropped, so I' guessing it's a build-up of dirt.

The seller is willing to pay for the repair if it's less than the camera, but maybe I should just return it instead of spending time and energy on a repair. Too bad I opted for this auction instead of a nearly identical one from a seller with a worse eBay rating. Not many Professionals up for sale lately.