Help Correctly marking loaded Mags (16mm)

Hi,

This is just a quick question.

Can anyone help me with what colour of tape to use for marking different types of filmstock in loaded mags.

As far as I'm aware, for example, 500T would be marked with red tape, 250D with Blue. Is this correct and what are the standards for other stocks.

I am working in the UK if that makes a difference to this practice.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

Hi,

This is just a quick question.

Can anyone help me with what colour of tape to use for marking different types of filmstock in loaded mags.

As far as I'm aware, for example, 500T would be marked with red tape, 250D with Blue. Is this correct and what are the standards for other stocks.

I am working in the UK if that makes a difference to this practice.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

There is no "correct", only conventions. You seem to be on the right track with red for the fastest tungsten stock carried on the shoot and blue for daylight, but this isn't something set in stone.

I always write the NAME of the stock (not the 4-digit code) on the side of the tape too. This [almost] undoes my sloppy handwriting which gets worse in extreme cold or in a hurry ;-)

• Premium Member

It's usually something like red for high speed tungsten, orange or yellow for slower tungsten, blue for your daylight stock (If you have 2 you could make them dark and light blue), grey or white for B&W stock.

The important thing is that you stick to your convention (i.e. the convention the 1st wants to use) for the duration of the show. Keep it consistent.

One more thing, I just experienced this for the first time, I accidently didn't tighten up the loop, and the film got all scrambled up, it was a 100 ft B&W double X Negative 250 IE. I fixed it but not sure if my film is ruined. I opened the mag in daylight on set, are just the top perfs on the stock ruined or all of it?

One more thing, I just experienced this for the first time, I accidently didn't tighten up the loop, and the film got all scrambled up, it was a 100 ft B&W double X Negative 250 IE. I fixed it but not sure if my film is ruined. I opened the mag in daylight on set, are just the top perfs on the stock ruined or all of it?

The daylight spools block out most light, but there's probably a few feet on the feed and takeup spools that were exposed and are useless...or artsy/stylish ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Weren't late as well were you?

Why are you listing yourself as a Camera Operater if you're actually a very inexperienced loader? Astonishing that you weren't sure how to handle the stock, so you opened it. Didn't it occur to you that that might not be super smart?