Arriflex BL4s 35mm (1.85:1)

Steve King

Hi,

I am getting my hands on some 35mm film and I want to shoot on a BL4s because there is one available with Zeiss high speed primes for rent at a good cost. I am new to the world of film, and from what I've been able to find out online, this camera shoots 4-perf at academy ratio. How is 1.85:1 ratio accomplished with this camera? The intended output is 1.85:1 on film.

Best,

Steve

It's normally masked after you've shot 4 perf to 1.85:1, which allows for some recentering as needed. Any modern Telecine/film scanner, or even NLE can add the masking as you need.

Thanks Adrian,

In that case, is it normal to have crop guides to show you were the frame is cropped later for framing purposes? Something that could be on the ground glass?

• 3 months later...
In that case, is it normal to have crop guides to show you were the frame is cropped later for framing purposes? Something that could be on the ground glass?

Rental houses normally provide any ground glass you need or want. 1.77, 1.85, 2.40 or combined, whatever. With the 35BL4 you would shoot full 4-perf and then apply a crop/mask when transfering or when editing.

I just shot a short film with the 35BL4 and had such a great experience. It's about as easy to load and thread as an ARRI SR2. Really great.