Splicing Supplies Reccomendations

Ernie Zahn

Hi,

I'm going to be doing a whole lot of splicing the next few months. About 47 400' reels worth. I was wondering if anyone could give me some good recommendations on splicing supplies. Thus far Spectra seems to have an ample supply of splicing products. There are a few different ones and I've only done cement before (mine is broken and I don't really have any more cement). I was thinking of moving into tape, it seems more efficient and I'm doing this for telecine purposes, it seems to be the way to go for telecine purposes. Viewing that site, there are a few different splicers that range from $30 to $100. Which would causes the most nightmares which is easier? Any feedback would be much appreciated!

For solid and economical splicing you better get a Catozzo CIR model. Uses straightforward tape which makes for a nice price of 1-1.5 cent per splice.

Many telecine business use these CIRs.

The splicers are a bit expensive when new but there are offerings in the classifieds for used ones.

The tape is available from US en EU sellers like Chambless and Wittner. Or CIR of course :)

Comparing the place the Andy recommends, Spectra still appears to be the cheapest with really good shipping and service. Spectra buys editing inventory in quantities direct from manufacturer to try to keep prices low.

The Wurker is an excellent recommendation for tape splicer. However, they are extremely difficult to find on ebay and other sources. Again, Spectra usually has Wurker's in stock. You may want to weigh the options after looking around.