Best lenses to use with RED?

Hi.

I am thinking on shooting my next project on RED. I am not a digital lover, in fact, there have been only about 3 movies shot in HD that I could digest without having personal problems with the textures, colors and specially the depth of field. But still, I am interested in using this camera, cause to be realistic, here in the third world, celluloid is a commodity most of us can’t afford.

So, my question is, which lenses would give me the best film like quality? I have always worked with Zeiss, and love them, but recently I discover that District 9 was shot with the S4 primes and Angenieux zooms, so I don’t know which to choose.

Any recommendations?

• Premium Member

They're different looks. Zeiss lenses are generally very, very sharp. This makes the falloff to out of focus seem much faster and they sometimes appear to have less depth of field than other lenses. They also tend to render a bit cold. Cookes are a bit warmer and ever-so-slightly softer, in a good way.

I'm in love with S4s. You should do some searches on this site and read about the various series of lenses available and make up your own mind.

Yes, Zeiss are pretty effective. Although I haven’t really read or herd of anyone use them with the RED. I guess most RED users pick the comfortable choice and shoot with the RED lenses. But I think the S4’s are the good choice, maybe with an Agenieux zoom, that seemed to work like a charm on District 9.

Most people shoot on Zeiss Super Speeds since they are cheaper than S4's and Ultra primes. They are a 1.3, but they are not as sharp as at 1.3 as a 2/2.8. My favorite lenses are ultra primes, but that's dependant on the project. I'm sure if you search this forum you can find tons of write-ups/opinions on what each lens looks like, flares like...etc

Jamie