Bolex Aspheron 5.5mm for Switar 10mm Lens

Guest Glenn Brady

Guest Glenn Brady

Has anyone tried using the Bolex Aspheron 5.5mm attachment made for the Kern-Paillard 10mm Switar H16 RX lens on the Kern-Paillard 5.5mm Switar H8 RX lens? I believe both lenses have a 32.0mm attachment size, so the Aspheron should fit physically. I'm wondering if it would work optically.

• 2 years later...

Has anyone tried using the Bolex Aspheron 5.5mm attachment made for the Kern-Paillard 10mm Switar H16 RX lens on the Kern-Paillard 5.5mm Switar H8 RX lens? I believe both lenses have a 32.0mm attachment size, so the Aspheron should fit physically. I'm wondering if it would work optically.

Hi,I have already ordered switar 10mm f1.6 and planing ro buy BOLEX Aspheron 5.5mm, so I will upload video or send picture if still interested in.

Best, Miki

• Premium Member

Interesting idea.. but I don't think it will work. It would have been designed for the 10mm only, factoring in it's front element to attachment thread distance among other things.

I would imagine that if it worked perfectly on the H8 RX 5.5mm as well, Bolex would have advertised the fact. So chances are it either won't work at all or you'll get some nasty edge fall off.

I have access to an Aspheron attachment but not an H8 RX 5.5mm, otherwise I'd give it a go!

Guest Glenn Brady

. . . I don't think it will work.

I've found the Aspheron 5.5mm lens has a larger diameter thread (probably 38mm) than that of the front of the Kern-Paillard 5.5mm f/1.6 Switar H8 RX lens, so you're correct. It won't work.

Yes, i did it. But before i had to unscrew the metal aluminium ring (where the "switar" is stamped) to have the aspheron closest to lens, otherwise you get heavy vignetting. Moreover i had to machined a new ring : now the aspheron screw in the place of metal aluminium thread. In fact the aspheron lens and front element of switar must be cosest. Iris open not more than f2.8 otherwise you get edges out of focus. Best sharpness at f5.6. Here i can't upload pictures, but if you let me know your email i will send you.

Regards.

Roberto