Assistant DOP/ camera operator opportunity

Guest Ann Amyn

Guest Ann Amyn

Dear all,

Hi. I'm a 2009 graduate from Towson University, MD, majoring in Electronic Media and Film. I am looking for opportunities to expanding my skills and knowledge in DOP, perhaps to begin as an assistant or camera operator. Be assured, I am also looking forward to any production crew opportunity as I would like to gain more experience.

Here is the link to my DP reel. I am looking forward to hearing any comments and critiques. Thank you for viewing. I look forward to hearing from anyone who's interested in networking and sharing the same interest.

www.visualcv.com/annamyn

Feel free to contact me at annamyn@gmail.com

AA

• Premium Member
Dear all,

Hi. I'm a 2009 graduate from Towson University, MD, majoring in Electronic Media and Film. I am looking for opportunities to expanding my skills and knowledge in DOP, perhaps to begin as an assistant or camera operator. Be assured, I am also looking forward to any production crew opportunity as I would like to gain more experience.

Here is the link to my DP reel. I am looking forward to hearing any comments and critiques. Thank you for viewing. I look forward to hearing from anyone who's interested in networking and sharing the same interest.

www.visualcv.com/annamyn

Feel free to contact me at annamyn@gmail.com

AA

If I were you, I would look for work as a loader (have you loaded before?) or as a camera PA. Much more likely to find work that way.

If I were you, I would look for work as a loader (have you loaded before?) or as a camera PA. Much more likely to find work that way.

Yeah I agree with Chris start a a loader or a camera pa. I started out as a 2nd AC/Loader and I did a few 1st AC jobs before i decided to go full time with being a DP and Camera Op. The key thing is learn as much as you can and ask as many questions but don't hassle the person for info when you are working. It is best done while in between shots.

You know what? I'm gonna be bold and say that maybe it's worth just starting out on small jobs as a DP and just shooting, if that's what you want to do. I mean, yeah. If you want to try to "move up" the traditional way on big jobs, then loading is obviously the first step. But if you've already done work as a DP, then maybe you'd be happier continuing to bill yourself that way and just seeing what happens.

I say this because I decided in college that I wanted to work as a 1st AC...and when I got out of college, that was exactly what I called myself. And guess what...I worked as a 1st AC. Not on big jobs, per se, but enough work that I've been able to make a reasonably decent living for myself in New York City for almost 4 years. So, if you want to shoot, shoot!

I honestly think, 3 years after walking out the door at Arri CSC, that if I'd ended up working on big jobs as a loader, I would've found myself really frustrated and stifled, because I got so used to working on these little jobs as a 1st and sometimes a 2nd. As much as I think the structure of the camera department is there for a reason, I also feel that especially nowadays with so much of the work being digital, there might be more room for you to get out there as a cam op or DP right off the bat.

The thing is, if you start out as a loader, it's more likely you'd move up to being a cam op (and the union no longer requires production to hire a separate camera operator; the DP can do it if he/she wants...so your potential for work might be a lot more limited) than a DP. I know a lot more DP's who come up through the lighting department. So that's something to think about too.

The OTHER thing to think about is how f*cking hard it is to actually move up in the camera department on big jobs. You have to work consistently with the same crew and they have to like you...it's not like you just magically turn into a B-camera 2nd one day after loading for 3 years. I personally have pretty much decided that ya know, I'm not a union loader, and oh well for that. A commercial here and there would be great, but it seems that over the years, I've carved out more of a niche for myself in the indie world as a 1st and 2nd. So it's different for everyone. And a lot of it comes down to luck.

I was singing a different tune a few months ago and there is written evidence of it on this forum. But hell, I'll just throw it out there now...I work as hard as all my little union friends and CSC alumni, and I've gotten so little union work that when it came time to pay dues, I told them I'd rather put my dues on hold because what's the point in paying them hundreds of dollars a quarter if you're not making that money on union jobs? So screw it, I decided to play to my strengths and just keep working with the people I already know and trust in the indie world, doing the things that I feel comfortable with and have developed a rhythm with.

And finally, you know, if your heart really lies with shooting, I think it's important to keep that alive by continuing to build your reel...because ACing can really suck the life out of you if you're doing it just to get to something else. If you can strike a balance between working for peanuts as a DP and making the serious money as a loader, then all the power to you...it could be a good combination.

Anyway, I'm not trying to scare you off, just trying to offer a realistic perspective on some of this. So, good luck, and I will check out your reel. I have some ideas for music videos and spec commercials myself and it's always good to see other peoples' work for inspiration!

• Premium Member
...And finally, you know, if your heart really lies with shooting, I think it's important to keep that alive by continuing to build your reel...because ACing can really suck the life out of you if you're doing it just to get to something else.

Hell yes, Annie - that's exactly the way I feel too. Passion is a fleeting thing; it's damn hard to get it back after you've put off doing what you really want to do for a few years in order to make a living below the line. So whatever path you choose, Ann, keep shooting and making films too because you'll never get those years back.

I will add that you'll probably learn more working in the lighting or grip departments as there is an endless amount of stuff to learn there. By comparison, camera department is pretty simple. You load the camera, you point the camera, you shoot the camera... Reset and repeat. Kidding. Sorta. <_<

Edited by Satsuki Murashige

Guest Ann Amyn

Dear Satsuki, Annie, Chris and Corey,

Thank you for your feedback. I've experienced loading a 16mm film for my student film. I guess it was such a great learning experience for me since my other group members appointed me to be the loader. The experience was worth it. I do agree with Chris about starting off as a camera PA. Fortunately, I've been working with the same team (friends from my college) who are passionate about producing short films. Each one of us has our own role and I normally do the major DP job along with other stuffs. I really think I need to just practice my skills and keep rolling the camera.

I truly appreciate your comment. Thank you so much for viewing my reel. I will keep my reel updated from time to time. Looking forward to hearing from you again soon. Have a great day!

AA :D

Dear Satsuki, Annie, Chris and Corey,

Thank you for your feedback. I've experienced loading a 16mm film for my student film. I guess it was such a great learning experience for me since my other group members appointed me to be the loader. The experience was worth it. I do agree with Chris about starting off as a camera PA. Fortunately, I've been working with the same team (friends from my college) who are passionate about producing short films. Each one of us has our own role and I normally do the major DP job along with other stuffs. I really think I need to just practice my skills and keep rolling the camera.

I truly appreciate your comment. Thank you so much for viewing my reel. I will keep my reel updated from time to time. Looking forward to hearing from you again soon. Have a great day!

AA :D

Hey AA,

Your welcome this site is great for getting and sharing information to help us all. Me and Chris come from the same boat as you would call it to if you want to work up the old fashion way then loading is the way, but I have done some commercials and films as both the 2ndAC and loader so if you want to you can call your self a 2nd but know how to load mags. And if you want to be a DP and a Camera Op out of the gate then great but I tell you most of what I learned and know now is from being a AC.

• Premium Member
I've gotten so little union work that when it came time to pay dues, I told them I'd rather put my dues on hold because what's the point in paying them hundreds of dollars a quarter if you're not making that money on union jobs? So screw it, I decided to play to my strengths and just keep working with the people I already know and trust in the indie world, doing the things that I feel comfortable with and have developed a rhythm with.

I have long questioned whether union dues are really worth it. I personally refuse to join a union, as I feel they are unnecessary in this day and age, but some tend to swear by them. Then again, why pay dues when many members on the lower end of the union make more money from non-union jobs anyway? It is obviously a personal decision but your quantity of work will be much less if you only take union jobs.

Matthew, that's exactly why I told them to put me on hold. I could give a poop if it limits the very occasional commercial that I might get...(making $500 in a day is great, but when you have to pay them $200 a quarter in order to do that, well then, it's really just like making $300 in a day on a non-union gig) or if it makes me look bad or something...anybody who thinks so can go ahead and pay my bills FOR me! :P It usually takes at least a couple of drinks for me to say this, but in all honesty, I would say that UNLESS YOU ARE ALREADY WORKING A LOT...A LOT...AS A CAMERA PA ON UNION JOBS AND EVERYONE KNOWS YOU AND LOVES YOU...don't join. F*ck them. It's a lot of money to pay for a free subscription to ICG magazine, an occasional party or seminar, and not to mention, a pretty crap deal when it comes to health insurance.

...I'm waiting for them to come beat down my door now that I've posted something like this... :lol: