What to do about getting ripped off?

Jason Mann

I ordered 300 ft of 16mm film from a company I thought was fairly reputable in December, and it's never arrived. I've heard one excuse after another, and they've repeatedly claimed that a replacement order was on the way. After I asked for a tracking number for the shipment (because I didn't believe the film was actually coming) the company simply stopped responding.

I've called and emailed literally dozens of times, and at this point I can't even get a human to answer the phone. (They must have caller ID).

It's too late to protest through Paypal (which is how I paid, though it wasn't an auction.) Does anyone in the Los Angeles area know how to address this? (I'm in Maine, so going to their warehouse isn't an option.)

More importantly, why on earth would they act this way? Is it because 300 feet is a small order? It's depressing really.

Anyway, if anybody has any ideas on how to get my money back, I'd love to hear them.

ps. The company is DVfilm.net. (They have several websites, like simplepix.com, but all have the same contact info so they must be the same company.)

The BBB should be online. Google it.

Anyway those prices look high. $49 bucks for a 100 footy of 7246? Is that with processing? Kodak's price is like $35. Film emporium sometimes has factory sealed for $29.

I also noticed that one of their pages had a tag line (the one that appears at the top of the browser and on the button) at their dv24p.net site says "2-pop- The Digital Filmmakers Resource Site." Not the 2-pop I know.

• 1 month later...
I ordered 300 ft of 16mm film from a company I thought was fairly reputable in December, and it's never arrived. I've heard one excuse after another, and they've repeatedly claimed that a replacement order was on the way. After I asked for a tracking number for the shipment (because I didn't believe the film was actually coming) the company simply stopped responding.

I've called and emailed literally dozens of times, and at this point I can't even get a human to answer the phone. (They must have caller ID).

It's too late to protest through Paypal (which is how I paid, though it wasn't an auction.) Does anyone in the Los Angeles area know how to address this? (I'm in Maine, so going to their warehouse isn't an option.)

More importantly, why on earth would they act this way? Is it because 300 feet is a small order? It's depressing really.

Anyway, if anybody has any ideas on how to get my money back, I'd love to hear them.

ps. The company is DVfilm.net. (They have several websites, like simplepix.com, but all have the same contact info so they must be the same company.)

Te same thing happened to me actually. I was able to angrily cancel my order by emailing service@dvfilm.net

Who do the rest of you guys go through for ordering film? I was hoping that I could get Fuji Reala 500D and they pretty much screwed me over.