Green Screen Table Top Lighting

marshall rose

I need to shoot a tabletop shot of a Heineken bottle and then of a pint glass being filled with guinness. Unfortunately they need to key in a background, so we will be using a greenscreen as well.

I'm shooting on Red w/nikon glass, at 2k, 120fps, redcode 28. I'm fine w/getting an even light across the green screen and avoiding any green bounce onto the subject.

Does anyone know of a resource (website or previous discussion here) on tabletop lighting? Mostly I'm concerned w/reflections on the glass. Do I use side light refletion to my advantage (like bouncing a blond onto a 4x8 B board) and use the white reflection to give the bottle a white edge? Or do I avoid that all together and just backlight the bottle (dual 3/4 rear keys) and fill in the front with a low soft source and avoid getting reflection. I know there are a lot ways to do this but if someone knows of a resource or has some advice - that would be extremely appreciated.

im also concerned w/seeing chroma green through the glass and having the graphics guy struggle to key it...but that's another discussion i guess.

Thanks!

marshall

• Premium Member
Tape a white piece of paper to the non-camera side of the bottle.

Or cut a silver card for the back of the bottle and angle it into the light (assuming you go with a soft side light) for a little glow behind. Also, you'll probably have to go with blue, not green for a Heineken bottle, but whatever you do transparency will most likely be an issue so something directly behind the bottle is a good thing.

I wonder if it would be better to do it against black and pull a luminance key instead?

• Premium Member

Oh, and as far as lighting the bottle, there are many approaches you can take but I usually go with whatever gives the least offensive reflection. I'll sometimes just hand-hold a diffusion frame all around the bottle till I find the best position. I mostly find it's from the top.

But, if you cut a long skinny diffusion frame, you can sometimes light it from the side and get the reflection to go the length of the bottle (around the bends from top to bottom). The frame probably has to be about three times the height of the bottle. Just make sure it's pretty skinny so it doesn't reflect too far around the face.

thats great advice justin - thanks so much!

I'm going to bang a par onto the shiny side of a piece of b board to get the glow on the bottle from the back, and then fill it in with a sidy frontal soft source (prolly divas through 250).

anyone know of a tabeltop lighting resource? like, just a basic how to guide? website or book? Just trying to fill in some basics I missed out on.

thanks again!

marshalll

• 2 weeks later...
thats great advice justin - thanks so much!

I'm going to bang a par onto the shiny side of a piece of b board to get the glow on the bottle from the back, and then fill it in with a sidy frontal soft source (prolly divas through 250).

anyone know of a tabeltop lighting resource? like, just a basic how to guide? website or book? Just trying to fill in some basics I missed out on.

thanks again!

marshalll

Use large soft sources and large black rags to place your reflections. A dido straight over top may look nice. Is the table top also Blue screen? As Mentioned Heiniken bottles are green. The card behing the bottle may be good or bad. Ask your self if you should see the background through the bottle if the answer is yes don't use a card. Didos cold be great as back lights as well.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are shooting a Heineken Bottle... GREEN SCREEN is the LAST thing you'll want to do! Blue or Red Screen yes.... Green... no!

A piece of foil glued to showcard (cardboard) and cut in the shape of the Bottle and free standing a couple inches behind the Bottle works great... the rest is a nice Soft Wrapping Key... and any specials.

However you matte, be ready for some Inferno Work ($) due to contamination.

Owen Roizman (ASC), talks a little bit about a tabletop lighting he did in a Budweiser commercial in the book "Reflections" (Benjamin Bergery). He actually cut a hole beneath the bottle, to illuminate the bottle from below and make it "glow"! He used of course other lights as well.

- Henning H