Transfer Telecine Systems

Geovane Marquez

I've come across what looks like a Film to Video Tape transfer

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kalimar-Film-to-Video-...34.c0.m14.l1262

Is it for real though? I mean it's way too cheap compared to Telecine Houses.

It's a Kalimar Film To Video Transfer System

Sht if this is Legit , Ill transfer all process film into this

Hi.

I don’t know that particular device, but it looks similar to the Goko TC-20, which is (relatively more) well-known and is indeed a “legit” transfer device.

I watched a transfer session (of Super-8) done through a TC-20 with results that looked excellent. I’ve seen transfers (of Super-8) that claimed they were done through a TC-20 that looked awful. Center-spot brightness, flicker, and fuzzy resolution. I’ve never used the device myself, so I can’t tell you what goes into a successful transfer.

By the way, I could say the same things about simple wall-transfers. I can recall seeing results that looked excellent. I’ve seen some that looked awful.

• Premium Member

I used one of those boxes before and you'll get decent results if you have a 3ccd camcorder and set it up for perfect focus. Problem with this method is: You can only do a certain frame rate capture with this without getting flicker. I had a Chinon variable speed projector at the time and I got something like a 15 3/4 fps rate to avoid flicker. Therefore, if you're doing dialog stuff at 24fps, it wont sync right. I posted my short film "The Wheat and the Chaff" under the "Please critique my work" section and the opening credit stuff with my daughter and the cats playing was transferred using one of those things. The slow frame rate and soft focus look gave a chilling old-school home movie appearence. The rest of that film was a RANK transfer @ 24fps from Debenham Media Group who I highly recommend and their prices are cheaper than any RANK house I've ever seen.

• Premium Member

It's kinda like buying roller skates versus renting a Rolls-Royce. They both get you there, but at different price/performance points. Do you have enough film, or transfer film to tape often enough, that you'd want to own such a thing and find closet space for it?

-- J.S.