Filming a TV

Jonathan Phillips

Hi, I've got a project I'm shooting on Kodak Tri-X film with a Canon 1014 AZE. I want to shoot a slow zoom into a TV in a pitch black room playing nothing but static. The light meter says that the TV alone doesn't produce enough light to correctly expose the film, I'm wondering how one would solve this problem. Should I increase the aperture? Has anyone shot a TV before, how bad are the scanlines?

I have done something similar, I filmed TV playing static, I used Ektachrome 64, I wanted a wide angle shot of an dark and empty room with TV on the floor in a corner, but the light meter was saying that the TV didn't produce enough light to correctly expose the film, but I didn't inrease the aperture of my Super 8 camera.

Instead when I switched the TV on I played a film and with my Super 8 camera [bauer S715XL] I zoomed into the whole TV frame, the light meter was still saying that the TV didn't produce enough light, but I locked the exposure anyway , I then zoomed out, I finally played nothing but static on the TV and filmed with my Super 8 camera, it worked pretty well. The scan lines seemed okay, my camera was set at 24fps, I think there are no scan lines if you are filming an LCD TV.

P

Since static is very inconsistent, why not just film in single frame mode... This will allow more light, correct? film 5 frames or second. Even film 18 or whatever, you won't be able to tell it's playing as a time lapse. I seriously doubt it, anyway...

Since you're shooting television static with TRI-X, you could also think about a one- or two-stop push.

Since static is very inconsistent, why not just film in single frame mode... This will allow more light, correct? film 5 frames or second. Even film 18 or whatever, you won't be able to tell it's playing as a time lapse. I seriously doubt it, anyway...

Yes, agree.

I realize you (Jonathan) have a camera already picked out (and a nice one), but I thought I would just point out that the long- or "bulb" exposure feature of cameras like the Nizo's and Bauer's would be ideal for that kind of shot. Even one of the less desirable Nizo's would be just fine. The 480 or 560, for example.