Wireless Microphone

Michael Jones

I have a question regarding audio on the camera... When using the front mic (mounted on camera) I am recording to channels 1 and 2 even though it is a mono signal. Correct?

When I am using the Azden wireless mic (BTW I did not end up getting the in-slot receiver model) I am plugging it into channel 1(xlr) in the back of the camera. I am only getting the one signal for that one channel.

Is there a way to get that one channel (1 xlr) to record on both channel 1 and 2 like the front mic does mounted on the camera? I discovered that plugging the Azden into the front xlr jack I get both channels. In this case, I have disabled the front Mic and will only record wireless.

I guess this leads to another question... when recording w/ wireless mic, do I want to record audio from the camera mic as well? Simultaneously?

Any thoughts would help... Thanks,

-mj

Hi Michael,

That's normal for your wireless receiver to be switched into the one audio channel.

Usually, at least with a 2 channel Betacam, it was pretty standard to have the wireless switched into one channel, and the on-camera mic routed (as a back-up) to the other channel.

If you want to send the signal from your wireless into both channels, you can buy/make a "Y" XLR cable that will do that for you. Some audio techs like to have that kind of redundancy, and they will run one of the audio channels about 20% below the normal level. This helps prevent over-driving the one channel if the person being interviewed raises his/her voice unexpectedly.

Enjoy your SDX900.

Ken Z.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Keep in mind that the SDX-900 can record 4 channels of audio, and that you can record the front mic into channel 3 or 4 (with auto gain control) and record your wireless onto channel 1 and 2, should you wish. That way you get maximum diversity and protection.

J