Split-second decision to buy EX3...need advice

Ryan McLemore

Due to various financial reasons I won't go into, I really need to buy a camera now--as in, in the next couple days.

I have dabbled in TV commercials and industrial video, but that was 15 years ago. I am now getting "back" in the biz. I have some immediate opportunities to make some commercials, movie trailers, industrial vid, and I want to get into documentaries and short films.

I have a final cut setup, and a good friend is going to be helping with shooting, directing and production. Renting and/or hiring for specific shoots isn't something I'm interested in right now, as I am going to be working on the documentary and other creative aspects over a long period of time and want constant camera access (and self-training).

I know there are tons of factors, and I've read extensively on the camera, but just looking for some learned opinions: if you had about $10,000 to spend on a camera and a few basic accessories (really basic, like a case, memory card, and a tripod), would you even consider anything besides the EX3? (I will likely be renting lenses and doing some multicamera work, eventually, so I'm willing to pay more for EX3 over 1).

I had planned to wait to see if a successor was released, but I have decided it makes financial sense (long story) to buy now.

I've looked at the newer JVCs too, but I'm really drawn to the 1/2" chips of the EXs.

Advice, opinions? Thanks!

• Premium Member

I like the EX series, a lot, as I own an EX1, but you'll need more than 10K for a package. Think more like 15-20K for a really usable EX3 package, once you factor in extra batts/cards/laptop for field downloading of footage/tripod/mic/monitor.

I like the EX series, a lot, as I own an EX1, but you'll need more than 10K for a package. Think more like 15-20K for a really usable EX3 package, once you factor in extra batts/cards/laptop for field downloading of footage/tripod/mic/monitor.

thx. yeah, i'll be ready for the extra $10,000 over the next few months. Just need to get the camera itself asap then start adding on.

Law is a major thing in film ;)

Well, contracts and paperwork....

yeah, i hope to at least salvage some value of the past 12 years of my professional life! Contracts and dealing with intellectual property issues should give me a little cross-over, but a 99:1 film to law ratio is what I'm looking for!

I look forward to being a part of this community as I make the transition. I met with the guys at Georgia State University's film program today. It's two blocks from my office and only $3200 a semester, so I think that may be a starting point ....

• Premium Member

Film school is a viable option, but if you already have a college level education, it might be wiser to save your money and invest it in your career via equipment you will need, financing your own films, paying for crew, and living off of when times are lean. Just my 2 cents.

Film school is a viable option, but if you already have a college level education, it might be wiser to save your money and invest it in your career via equipment you will need, financing your own films, paying for crew, and living off of when times are lean. Just my 2 cents.

\

good advice, and that's how I'm now leaning, actually. Question: do you think Sony is going to release the next gen of the EX any time soon? I haven't heard much conjecture on the topic lately.

• Premium Member

How practical is it to do just a little bit of law as a day job, or freelance? For little one-time-only jobs, you're in competition with LegalZoom.com. For more complex litigation, could you work around a shooting schedule? If you can make it work, it'll sure beat being a waiter.

-- J.S.

very practical, in fact. I am going to go back to doing hourly work on an as-needed basis, soon.

i actually canceled my EX3 order and bought a used EX1 with Letus Ultimate + rails, SXS cards, lenses, monitor, tripod, fig rig, etc, for about same price as naked EX3. Made more sense to get started.