300 DV Tapes

Robert G Smith

Hi, I have 300 miniDV tapes, half NTSC and half PAL and I would like to transfer them all to hard drive/flash drive, so I can work with them on computer. Yes, I am prepared to buy a MAC and numerous 1TB hard drives if necessary, and yes, I have a firewire and USB2 and a DVcam and yes, I could get my hands on Final Cut Pro, but my question is about settings. I do not want to lose any quality whatsoever, nothing. Do I have to compress files? I mean, how would you do such a transfer? Thanks...

Hi, I have 300 miniDV tapes, half NTSC and half PAL and I would like to transfer them all to hard drive/flash drive, so I can work with them on computer. Yes, I am prepared to buy a MAC and numerous 1TB hard drives if necessary, and yes, I have a firewire and USB2 and a DVcam and yes, I could get my hands on Final Cut Pro, but my question is about settings. I do not want to lose any quality whatsoever, nothing. Do I have to compress files? I mean, how would you do such a transfer? Thanks...

Just capture in as DV files, over firewire, it will be a direct copy of the data on the tape. You won't loose any quality. As long as you have enough storage you won't need to compress any of the files further - DV is already compressed.

You will need lots of storage - 1TB is about 80 hours of DV quality footage

Just capture in as DV files, over firewire, it will be a direct copy of the data on the tape. You won't loose any quality. As long as you have enough storage you won't need to compress any of the files further - DV is already compressed.

You will need lots of storage - 1TB is about 80 hours of DV quality footage

Thanks, sounds like good advice... using Final Cut?

Thanks, sounds like good advice... using Final Cut?

Most editing packages can handle DV - so your choice would be more down to the features you need to cut the footage. Final Cut pro would be a good choice - or you could try Premier or Avid - the advantage of these packages let you use a PC, which would be cheaper to buy then a Mac. That said Macs are nice and Final Cut Pro is very good.