Black Hawk Down

Thomas Buelens

Hi fellow cinematographers,

a lot of you have probably seen Black Hawk Down. I think it's an awsome shot movie.

Does anybody have some info about it? How it was lit, camera's and lenses used? I'm certain A LOT of the footage went trough a DI, and that has probably helped make it look so cool?!

Thanx for sharing,

Thomas Buelens @ Antwerp City, Belgium

Aciné Productions

• Premium Member

The film didn't go through a DI.

If I remember correctely it was shot on Ultra Primes and Angénieux Zooms. One of the most interesting aspect of the film were the green night scenes. Slavomir Idziak also likes to use filters extensively.

Unfortunately I did not see this in the theatre. In the months after Sept 11, I had no interest in seeing war movies, but I did discover the film on DVD and I do think it is awesome in a filmmaking sense. But a friend did the transfer to tape for the DVD where they increased the green a bit and probably increased the contrast too. I would love to get a chance to see it projected from a print to see the difference.

• Premium Member

There's an AC article in June of 2002. A few highlights; Max is right about the lenses used. Stocks included 5245 and 5246 primarily for day exteriors, though occasionally he used 5248 and 5279. Night interiors were on 5277 and night exteriors were on 5279. Lots of his ND grad trademark too.