EX1 or EX1R

Robert Mast

With digital video technology that is always the question, particularly poignant after one is bought a camera, there are always more cameras released and announced. It really depends. If you have the money and a project that you need to shoot with it, then just go and get it. Otherwise, holding out may me smart. If you plan on recording DVCAM, or really need the HDMI output, improved viewfinder, etc. then go ahead and wait. The EX1 is a really nice camera, if there are problems with the design, for one, the lens barrel sliding sleeve (for lack of a better word) tends to crap out. I am not sure if the EX1R addresses this and other funky quirks the EX1 has.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat as Rob. I really really like the EX1 and its 1/2 inch chips, since a lot of what I do involves working in lower light situations. I'm not really blown away by the updates on the EX1-R, like the SD feature...I mean, you can always downconvert.

What also attracts me is that now that the new "hotness" is coming out, that might mean a price drop on the resale of the EX1. I'm already seeing a spike in the numbers on ebay, and the prices are quite good.

The only thing that gives me pause is: are there any bugs with the EX1 that people have real issues with, that they might recommend waiting for the 1R?

Best,

BR

I think you should wait for ex1r.

using the camera a long time in various conditions brought up some issues that were improved in R model. 3" start-up time, 15" cache recording and better viewfinder are things that I wish I had in ex1 the past year. the other improvements are things you didn't know you needed but can't live without them once you have them.

if you don't need your camera tomorrow you should wait for the improvements.

• Premium Member

As mentioned, and despite my affinity for my own EX1, wait until you need it, then buy the right camera for the job (jobs) you will be doing. When purchasing, always be sure you have a way to pay off the camera in a pretty short period of time, or else it might make a lot more sense to rent the best camera as needed.

I think at the end of the day, both you will give you a beautiful image. I personally am planning on buying the EX1 in a few days, both because the EX1s are coming down in price, and because I'm just not THAT impressed with the upgrades of the 1R to spend several thousand more. In my case, I need the camera now, because I'm ready to go HD, and could use it immediately for my work. If you've got time to wait, wait and see how things shake out. But at the end of the day, don't get too wrapped up in the technology. Focus on doing good work with the camera you've got. In some ways, a camera is like a car. Do you have to have the latest model? Or will last year's be alright? Sure the newer model might have leather seats, and a bigger built in GPS, but both get you from A to B, and in style.

Really, you can't go wrong either way. Make your decision when you're ready, and don't look back! :)

Good luck, and I'll post once I've got my EX1. So eager to finally go HD!

BR