Peter Suschitzky, BSC

Mike Panczenko

Out of all of his films, I've only seen Empire Strikes Back, Mars Attacks, and Spider. His work seemed different on all of these, and he seems very versatile. I'm looking for recommendations of what other stuff I should check out, as well as opinions on him. Let me know!

• Premium Member

Of his period work, "Immortal Beloved" is nice, "Man in the Iron Mask" is fine too but less exciting.

He did two homages to film noir, "The Public Eye" and "Naked Lunch", of which I recommend the second more.

"Dead Ringers" was also very well done.

I haven't seen his Ken Russell movies but I'm sure they are visually interesting: "Valentino" and "Lisztomania".

I've also never seen his first film for John Boorman, "Leo the Last", but I'm curious.

I'd actually have to say his best period film is Henry VIII and His Six Wives from the early 70s- VERY Watkin with a smidgen of Alcott.

Of his recent work Existenz is great as is all of the Cronenberg pics post Mark Irwin (although I think Irwin made Cronie less pretentious with his more commercial cinematography), Red Planet was anonymous bleach bypass fodder the studio probably requested after Pitch Black came out-

Rocky Horror is hands down his finest moment for me though- lots of really exiciting contrasty soft light and verite-style camerawork.

You can read my comments on Krull in the other Peter Su thread.