Cinema & photography studies

redita

Hi, i want to study cinema and photography in UK next year. I am not very talented or have a lot of skills in cinemotogrphy but I really want to study this thing and i am very interested in that!but i haven't got any experience in film making, but i do practice photography. So, if i join the university, is it possible for me to start learning everything connected with filmming and film production studies from 0? I mean, i want to LEARN this, i am almost 'green' on this.

I think that there should be not talented students who wants to learn this stuff...like me.

Please, share your minds with me, thank u :)!

• Premium Member

Hello Redita,

Welcome to this forum. First thing, this is one of the few forums on the web that insists on posters using their real first and last name. It keeps things professional and pretty civil compared to other sites.

Second, school is good. Books are good. Experience is good. What are your inclinations?

Hello Redita,

Welcome to this forum. First thing, this is one of the few forums on the web that insists on posters using their real first and last name. It keeps things professional and pretty civil compared to other sites.

Second, school is good. Books are good. Experience is good. What are your inclinations?

I'm so sorry... I try to change it.

Well, i like to watch movies, i want to learn directing and filmming for real, but i havo no experience but i think that there will be some students who don't have any experience too, no? i mean, i am going there to LEARN.... is it possible? or it is not for me?

Hi are you going to pay for this course ? if so beware there are a lot of rip off so called Film Schools i this country , a bit like everything else here !!

well, kind of.. i'll take a scolarship, i want to study in university of LEEDS course Photography & Cinematografy.. and i just wanted to ask should i try to send my application there or no, because i haven't got any experience... or should i try and if i pass, i we will just start learning film production from very 0..

heres more info http://www.leeds.ac.uk/coursefinder/13913/...mp;_Photography

I dont want to be negative ! but i think Leeds just like any other Uni . will only take on people with a background in Film/Video . Places on courses like that are in huge demand , so they will be fussy who they give places to !! Good Luck . john

Hi Redita,

I was in a similar situation as you, except I had to keep working to pay bills. I couldn't afford the time nor money on a filmmaking course, it was my dream to do this. The truth is it would be a great benefit to you, but don't stop just because you can't get into film school. You will find you can get just as much information from the internet and books. Ask questions in the forum and around on various websites. Rent (or borrow) a camera at the weekend and shoot some experimental shorts.

The key to good filmmaking is passion and the ambition to keep learning. No school can teach you this, it comes from inside. Put yourself out there as a runner on other productions and pull together your own projects, no matter how small. Watch films and write down the things you really like about each one and why, these littles things will help you begin to shape the tone and feel for the kind of movies you want to make. School is fantastic and a good start, but when the option isn't always there, nothing beats it like the real thing.

As Kubrick famously said, "Perhaps it sounds ridiculous, but the best thing that young filmmakers should do is to get hold of a camera and some film and make a movie of any kind at all.”

I agree with him.

Wishing you the best of luck in your ventures,

Ash.

• Premium Member

A common route for the self-taught is to get the cheapest video cam you can scrounge to learn working with motion. Something with a microphone input is better. Then get a nice used still film camera that has full manual controls and a basic zoom, something like a Nikon FM2 with a 28-80 lens. Or a Pentax K1000. You should probably get familiar with using a good light meter. You can find them used but it's the kind of thing you should consider buying new. You can search the forum for meter discussions and recommendations. You'll want something that does both still and cine readings.

Then, it's off to your local libraries.

A common route for the self-taught is to get the cheapest video cam you can scrounge to learn working with motion. Something with a microphone input is better. Then get a nice used still film camera that has full manual controls and a basic zoom, something like a Nikon FM2 with a 28-80 lens. Or a Pentax K1000. You should probably get familiar with using a good light meter. You can find them used but it's the kind of thing you should consider buying new. You can search the forum for meter discussions and recommendations. You'll want something that does both still and cine readings.

Then, it's off to your local libraries.

Very good point on getting a camera and learning how to move it. My background was still photography and learning how to move a camera was the hardest thing I had to master.

If I were you, I would try to get connected with the local film groups and offer to do anything you can to help. It will give you a “behind the scenes” look at the industry. Many, many people who only see the screen side of the business and become fascinated and want “in.” The back side is very long days, tight deadlines, screaming directors, and on and on.

If you ask me, lighting is the key to any good film. Without light you have radio. Study good artist, not just cinematographers and see how they use light.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. You will find some great people here ,all eager to help.