Scratched shutter mirror...

Michael Althaus

I just got a K-3 and found out that the mirror is very badly scratched. It looks as if somebody used sand paper on it. As a result the viewfinder is relatively dim and all highlights have a glow surrounding them. I am aware that the actual image recorded on film isn't affected by this but nevertheless would like to fix it. Is it save to remove the screws that hold the shutter and take it out to polish it? Will I have problems putting it back in, and aligning it? Any advice that would be useful when doing this? Thank you...

• Premium Member

To remove and replace a mirror shutter is strictly a shop job for a skilled tech with the right equipment. It's an extremely high precision assembly. Try Olex in Ukraine or Anatoly at Slow Motion Inc in Burbank.

-- J.S.

I just got a K-3 and found out that the mirror is very badly scratched. It looks as if somebody used sand paper on it. As a result the viewfinder is relatively dim and all highlights have a glow surrounding them. I am aware that the actual image recorded on film isn't affected by this but nevertheless would like to fix it. Is it save to remove the screws that hold the shutter and take it out to polish it? Will I have problems putting it back in, and aligning it? Any advice that would be useful when doing this? Thank you...

Thank John.

" the replace of mirror shutter disk - an extremely high precision assembly".

Will need balance of disk, to check of mirror surface bounce, adjust of position of mirror surface from ground glass.

Yes, of course, you can replace without all other procedures, but, i do not sure, what the sharpness image on froun glass will have sharpness image on film.

As for me, the shutter disk of K-3 cameras, show like a scratched, this is do not full mirror like of mirrors of professional cine cameras.

As for me, If you do not can use of K-3 with this mirror disk, to change of K-3 camera.

I think, the procedure of replace will have more high price from price of new K-3 camera.

May be ground glass dirty ?

Thank you for all the advice. I might just buy another one. I only spent

$100 on it so it is not too much of a loss...

but make sure its not simply that your expectations are too high. The mirrors on the 3 k3 cameras I've seen lately could all be described like yours - I don't think you should be expecting a k3 mirror to be as reflective as a normal domestic mirror. If it is working, use it like it is and if you want another camera as well as a k3 buy something better than a k3.

If it is working, use it like it is and if you want another camera as well as a k3 buy something better than a k3.

Very good idea,

I recomend to draw attention on Kinor-16 SX-2M.

The many filmmakers change of K-3 on Kinor-16 SX-2M.

After a first shoots with K-3, you will have request to use of wide angle lens,

after, you will wish to install of electrical motor,

after, to install of crystal sync electrical motor,

after, to ask about 120 m film magazine.

Very good idea,

I recomend to draw attention on Kinor-16 SX-2M.

The many filmmakers change of K-3 on Kinor-16 SX-2M.

After a first shoots with K-3, you will have request to use of wide angle lens,

after, you will wish to install of electrical motor,

after, to install of crystal sync electrical motor,

after, to ask about 120 m film magazine.

Actually, I bought the camera because it doesn't have all these things. I have access to Arri SRII's from school (Chapman) if I need these "features". The thing about the K-3 that was so intriguing to me was the fact that it was small and that I didn't need to worry about batteries etc. I use the camera just to shoot little shorts in my free time, for which it should be more than good enough. Thanks for all your good answers!

Actually, I bought the camera because it doesn't have all these things. I have access to Arri SRII's from school (Chapman) if I need these "features". The thing about the K-3 that was so intriguing to me was the fact that it was small and that I didn't need to worry about batteries etc. I use the camera just to shoot little shorts in my free time, for which it should be more than good enough. Thanks for all your good answers!

Yes, of course, the rate of price of K-3 and work of 16 mm cine camera incredible.

That's why, the guys, to compare of price of K-3 with price of other cameras choose of K-3.

What you say, if you receive of 16 mm professional cine camera with technical features of Arri SRI, SRII, but, price, like doubled price of " normal " K3 ?

And this real, this is Kinor-16 SX-2M.

You worry about battery, all correct, but, after you run of 10 pcs of 100 ft rolls you will have big hand pain. The spring will need load and this is do not comfortable process.

The idea about to save money, K-3 have daylight film spools. You lost a near 1.5 m of film at procedure charging and discharging of film into camera.

400 ft film rolls and film magazine more comfortable.

If you wish have real small size 16 mm cine camera, i can recommed to check information about russian Kiev-16 E, this is 100 ft film magazine camera, with electrical motor ( 6 pcs of AA accumulators, set inside camera ), C-mount, size of camera 190 x 165x 60 mm, weight 2 kg.

This is real spy cine camera.

Other idea- Kiev-Alpha cine camera, 100 ft daylight spools, mechanical spring motor, C-mount.

Size and weight less of K-3 camera.

Other - Kiev-16 UE, 100 ft daylight spools, electrical motor, can use AA accumulators inside of motor, 3 lenses on turret 12,5 mm, 20 mm, 50 mm.

Special, orighinal screw mount.

To have reversal trace and additional frame counter.

Can have mechanical drive with maximum speed 64 fps.

If you will have ideas about home film processing, i can help, because, to have long time experience of film processing at home.