Authorized Vs. Non-authorized Resellers

schmolze

I know this might be beating a dead horse as others have posted regarding gray market purchases, but I thought I'd ask again and try to clarify.

Buying the DVX100A from a non-authorized reseller like Profeel, for example - what does this mean? The camera is still US market and comes with Panasonic's warrantee, right? Does it mean that no one will service it if it's Gray Market?

What about buying the Mack warrantee for it?

Is it only the first year period of the manufacterer's warrantee that you need to worry about if buying from a non-authorized source?

Is it really worth the extra $500 to buy authorized?

What is really the difference?

Thank you all -

B

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cristos7

Some good questions here - any answers?

Also, anybody have any online dealers that they recommend or would never use again for buying this camera or comparable video cam?

B&H, Buy Dig, Abe's? (B7H is $400 more than the others...)

Thanx in advance for sharing your experience and knowladge.

Personally, I would not recommend them. When I bought my camera about a year and a half ago, I tried BuyDig because they had pretty reasonable prices, and the site said my item was in stock. Two weeks after the order, I hadn't received a tracking number, so a call to customer service told me that the item was not in stock. Thanks for the heads up, BuyDig! <_<

If you plan on going to one of these retailers, you should ask them, via telephone, if the item is in stock before placing an order, as it seems their websites aren't as updated as they should be. That, and, apparently it's your job to find out what's going on when you haven't received update on your order in a few weeks...

(Ended up buying from B&H)

You should ask the reseller if it has a copy of Magic Bullet for Editors in the box. If it does then you probaably have a US unit. This is the most impotant thing. Without that then you very likely have one that does not have a warranty. We do have dealers that resell to these smaller shops and these smaller shipls like Profeel, have an attractive low price, but I have yet to see an incoice from one that the total of the invoice doesn't add up to about $3400.

Currently the US version not only comes with the Magic Bullet for editors, but it also comes with Barry Green's The DVX Book and DVD, which is a most helpful tutrial on the camera. This is only on the US versions, not PAL, not Canadian, just US. This promotion started at the beginning of January and if you did not receive it in the ibox then send me a private message and I will tell you what you need to do to get this valuable tool.

hope this helps,

Jan

• 1 month later...

Abes of Maine told me in writing that they are an authorized dealer and that the Magic Bullet software and the DVD/book are sent via the rebate request to Panasonic. By your tag line you appear to be a Panasonic rep, as such are you sure that Panasonic does not send the software/book/dvd after the rebate request?

Thanks,

~Shawn

You should ask the reseller if it has a copy of Magic Bullet for Editors in the box.  If it does then you probaably have a US unit.  This is the most impotant thing.  Without that then you very likely have one that does not have a warranty.  We do have dealers that resell to these smaller shops and these smaller shipls like Profeel, have an attractive low price, but I have yet to see an incoice from one that the total of the invoice doesn't add up to about $3400.

Currently the US version not only comes with the Magic Bullet for editors, but it also comes with Barry Green's The DVX Book and DVD, which is a most helpful tutrial on the camera.  This is only on the US versions, not PAL, not Canadian, just US.  This promotion started at the beginning of January and if you did not receive it in the ibox then send me a private message and I will tell you what you need to do to get this valuable tool.

hope this helps,

Jan

Abes of Maine told me in writing that they are an authorized dealer and that the Magic Bullet software and the DVD/book are sent via the rebate request to Panasonic. By your tag line you appear to be a Panasonic rep, as such are you sure that Panasonic does not send the software/book/dvd after the rebate request?

Thanks,

~Shawn

AS a matter of fact, Abes is not an authorized reseller. I am the product manager for the DVX100A and I set up the program. I know when and where the software and book is put into the boxes. It is placed there under my direction. It seems that the only thing that Abe's is concerned with is getting yur credit card number so that you can come to Pansonic and get the book/software. I can assure you that if your serial number is not on the authorized list of numbers, that will not happen. I suggest you find a different vendor.

hope that helps,

Jan

Yeah I'd be careful trusting anyone named Abes of Maine

But located in Brooklyn, NY. B)

Although I did buy my SLR there and it still works okay. :)

But they did seem like sleazy vendors--& don't ask about their return policy.