Nikon lenses for Bolex

Stu McOmie

I've got a Nikon to c mount adapter, and I'd like to use a couple of Nikon fit lenses with my H16 Reflex.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a versatile (but affordable) lens? I'm looking for something that'll allow me to get decent depth of field as well as some medium wide shots.

I've also heard that going below a certain aperture causes problems?

Thanks.

• Premium Member

you'll get the same DoF on a nikon 24mm as a non nikon 24mm, or 50 or whatever. That being said, it'll be hard to find and lenses (nikon) wide enough for a good wide angle 16mm lens. the "normal" lens on 16mm for me is 'round a 16/25mm lens and the widest (affordable) nikon lenses I've seen are 'round 24mm. I have a 9.5mm for my SR3 and I've never seen anything nearly as wide in a nikon mount. Also, stills lenses aren't really mechanically made for film use (focal breathing and the throw of the focus ring being two major issues to keep in mind). All things being equal, I'd look for longer nikon lenses (50mm+) and normal/wide c mount lenses for the bolex.

you'll get the same DoF on a nikon 24mm as a non nikon 24mm, or 50 or whatever. That being said, it'll be hard to find and lenses (nikon) wide enough for a good wide angle 16mm lens. the "normal" lens on 16mm for me is 'round a 16/25mm lens and the widest (affordable) nikon lenses I've seen are 'round 24mm. I have a 9.5mm for my SR3 and I've never seen anything nearly as wide in a nikon mount. Also, stills lenses aren't really mechanically made for film use (focal breathing and the throw of the focus ring being two major issues to keep in mind). All things being equal, I'd look for longer nikon lenses (50mm+) and normal/wide c mount lenses for the bolex.

Thanks for the reply.

I've already got a selection of c mount lenses, a 10mm, 25mm & 75mm I think, plus I have access to a few more if needed. This is more of an experiment really.

How much of a problem is focal breathing? Is there a way around it... also will I need to adjust the focal length somehow (by manufacturing a washer or otherwise) for the bolex? I've heard the prism makes it hard to get it right.

The throw of the ring is a problem, especially with a small viewfinder, but I'll try and find a way around it. I won't be pulling focus, so that isn't so much of an issue.

• Premium Member

Nope, the lens is gonna breath if it breathes. it's in the design and not made to the same tolerances as cine lenses. You can't adjust the focal lenght. a 50mm is a 50mm no matter what. The field of view is what changes and that's a function of the size of the recording medium (the 16mm film frame is recording less of the projected image circle as a 35mm camera would).