Braun 6080

Pavan Deep

My Nizo 6080 wont run, but the zoom and the light meter work. I have carefully replaced the circuit board from another identical 6080. The circuit board is attached to the camera body with five screws and and six black plugs with the wires fior zoom exposure, motor etc and these can be easily unclipped to remove the board. With the new board the camera runs perfectly at all speeds, the zoom works but strangely the light meter doesn't work, which is a bit of a problem.

What should I do? Can someone help? I don't know how to read a circuit and that's where the problem seems to be. I have thought of replacing the board with a 4080 board. Has anyone done this?

P

• Premium Member

This is probably not going to help, but the problem with the highly electronified Nizo sound cameras is that everything is controlled by the circuit boards. As these grow old (and especially the late 6056 and 6080-series, despite being one of the most expensive cameras ever made, using cheap componentry), the transistors just give up.

It is very likely that your two boards have two different malfunctions in the circuitry. Alas, unless you find and ask a very skilled, greybearded electronics engineer who is very good at circuit board analysis, there is no way to identify which component does what, and have these interchanged from one of your boards to the other (which, of course, can be done).

Big problemo is: that's expensive, and time consuming without having a blueprint of the circuit board. Fellow colleagues of mine of the BCFI tried to get hand on those via a retired contact at Braun, to do exactly that, but to no avail.

The Nizo 4080 and 6080 boards cannot be interchanged, as the circuit boards are different to accommodate additional features of the 6080 that were all electronically controlled.

Sorry to by so negative. You'll face another problem regarding the rubber belt drive at some stage, too, as these decay and are so inaccessable that changing those is almost not worthwhile. Spare ones from German companies like Geissler are old orignal items, and have hence a shorter lifespan, too. I am unaware of brand-new rubber belt drives. I fear that even within the S8 niche industry, it's not worthwhile to produce them.

Nizo sound cameras are a ticking time bomb, in a way, which is a shame as they are phantastic. Try a Nizo professional or 801 macro as replacement, or shift to the Beaulieu 4008/Leicina/Bauer A512 camp which are way more indestructable.

-Michael