please help me

debal banerjee

yesterday i tested a red one camera. i dont have a user manual, and the problem is i found that the viewfinder of that red one camera is so bright the will cause the pain of your eyes.

can anybody tell me that is it a general problem or red one or there are some options to control the brightness of the view finder.

i didnt tried anything because its a new camera for me...please help me

can i control the brightness? if it is possible then how?

please tell me something,

i am going to shoot...since i am a cinematographer from third world country i cant afford to rent a camera for trying anything, that includes proper menu handling and trying the probabilities of the camera.

please help me otherwise i'll be in trouble

with regards

debal banerjee

Debal,

You can download the latest red manuals from http://www.red.com/support . I don't think you can adjust viewfinder brightness.

Regarding not having any prep time: failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

There are thousands of pages of discussion at reduser.net regarding picture recipes/look ideas - but without sometime to familiarize yourself with the camera you are not going to produce your best work.

Your best bet is to have an honest discussion with the producer indicating that he will save more money now - by allowing you to have a day of prep time - than by allowing an inevitable series of mistakes with the camera on a set with tons of expensive people and equipment hanging around doing nothing while you figure out why the camera isn't working - or accidentally erasing footage.

Worst case - argue that you can grab some second unit type stuff that might save the edit later on as well as adding a touch of production value.

• Premium Member

As far as I know, you can't adjust the brightness of the viewfinder. So if that is going to be a problem, then I suggest that you just operate off the on-board LCD. If you put the LCD on a long noga arm, you can even use it comfortably for handheld.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried ringing RED directly and ask them? Ring RED Europe in Pinewood studios on +441753 785454 and ask for Alan Piper and he will most likely be able to asses your problem over the phone.

Also make sure you don't have any of the shortcut buttons on the evf selected to any of the viewing modes, have to tried to reset the camera to factory defaults?

I hope it helps.

Regards

Sam

Decode

http://www.decodeuk.com

Edited by Sam Martin

• 2 weeks later...
yesterday i tested a red one camera. i dont have a user manual, and the problem is i found that the viewfinder of that red one camera is so bright the will cause the pain of your eyes.

can anybody tell me that is it a general problem or red one or there are some options to control the brightness of the view finder.

i didnt tried anything because its a new camera for me...please help me

can i control the brightness? if it is possible then how?

Yes you can control the brightness of the EVF, with 5 steps up or down from the default.

Here's how.

Enable the EVF menu:

System>Setup>Preferences>Display>EVF menu

and you will find it at the top of the list that appears on the left of the VF:

INT adjusts EVF backlight display intensity.

The rotary encoder / switch may be used to adjust a variety of parameters. These include the

EVF Intensity.

To activate this control, push the switch once. Rotate the switch until the white selection box

overlays the parameter you wish to adjust. Then press the switch to lock that selection in.

Rotating clockwise increases the parameter value, counterclockwise decreases the parameter

value. Push the switch once more to lock the parameter and exit the parameter adjust mode.

As pointed out above, it would be well worth downloading the manual and checking it out.

HTH

Edited by Nigel Smith

Guest TJ Williams

Nigel, finally.....

it's nice on the bright side though for exteriors....

Maybe your rental house can recommend an asst. who knows the camera menues etc so you wont be fumbling around on the set....

bummer no prep... happy manual studying!!!!