Konvas 1m, problems with the fram

Niclas Tornblom

Greetings!

Ok, just got my konvas 1m and it looks freaking sweet! But,,,i can't get my head around this problem with the frame.... cant se the whole frame in the viewfinder....the topp of the frame is covered in black (mask inside the viewfinder???) and the frame looks uneven....and when i turn the viewfinder up and down,,,the frame starts to make a wierd "dutch" movement...crazy indeed but how to fix this problem? somehting to do with the viewfinder it self or is it the prism/ shutter?

Have no idea,,,cheers!

Edited by Niclas Tornblom

• Premium Member

I find the viewfinder one of the negatives about the camera. It would drive you to drink.

Anyway, what you've first got to determine is that your camera is perfectly horizontal on the tripod. Use a spirit level if you must.

Now you have a base line. Attach a lens and try to compose for the corners of a focus chart all the way around.

Do your best, by wiggling, cajoling, manipulating, tweaking, loosening silver arms, cursing in Russian, whatever it takes to get close to perfect.

Open the camera door and inch the mirror so that you can clear the aperture.

Put a piece of scotch tape across the aperture so that it acts like a ground glass.

You should now see the image of the chart on the tape...use the translucent tape, not the clear stuff.

Go back to the eyepiece and inch the camera for reflex viewing and look in.

Both images should match.

Even if your viewfinder image is slightly dutch-angle or cut-off, you will know that THE FILM is getting a full horizontal image.

This will, at least, enable you to shoot with a little more confidence for now.

Ultimately you will need to see either a good camera-repairman, or a shrink, Cheers.

I find the viewfinder one of the negatives about the camera. It would drive you to drink.

Anyway, what you've first got to determine is that your camera is perfectly horizontal on the tripod. Use a spirit level if you must.

Now you have a base line. Attach a lens and try to compose for the corners of a focus chart all the way around.

Do your best, by wiggling, cajoling, manipulating, tweaking, loosening silver arms, cursing in Russian, whatever it takes to get close to perfect.

Open the camera door and inch the mirror so that you can clear the aperture.

Put a piece of scotch tape across the aperture so that it acts like a ground glass.

You should now see the image of the chart on the tape...use the translucent tape, not the clear stuff.

Go back to the eyepiece and inch the camera for reflex viewing and look in.

Both images should match.

Even if your viewfinder image is slightly dutch-angle or cut-off, you will know that THE FILM is getting a full horizontal image.

This will, at least, enable you to shoot with a little more confidence for now.

Ultimately you will need to see either a good camera-repairman, or a shrink, Cheers.

Sorry, May be. i understand do not full, but, i think, you told about complex and a mistaken technology.

If you think, what Konvas viewfinder very complex at adjust, i wish know your opinion about Arri viewfinder adjusting.

Do not need "perfectly horizontal on the tripod".

This is procedure need for adjust of disanamoprhic viewfinders only.

Spherical viewfinders adjust about a boders of ground class.

The viewfinder of all Konvas cameras - very reliable, simply, high bright and high sharpness.

If you have any problem with viewfinder, need repair at service lab only.

The ground glass of Konvas cameras set on one surface of glass prism.

The prism set inside prism holder and fix on body of camera by two scriws and two pins.

The body of prism do not move at any case.

The next - body of viewfinder track with two mirrors.

If the body of camera do not droping, the body with mirrors will OK too.

If the body of mirrors displaced , need repair at service lab only with " sample viewfinder ".

The next device - viewfinder.

The viewfinder have adjustable main mirror inside with big screw for fix of position of mirror.

This is device possible adjust with special tools only.

If you do not have special tools, you will have a some " headache" to adjust of position of mirror correct.

The next - mirror inside viewfinder, This is device set hard and can need very small adjusting.

The viewfinder have mechanism of change mask's position.

May be, you have problem with mask's control ?

The next - mechanism of focusing of viewfinder and mechanism of control of viewfinder blades.

Any case, if you have more question or need help , can send me PM.

Konvas viewfinder adjustable device and good maintainable.

Here is a picture of how the frame looks inside the viewfinder. I took out the viewfinder and the prism looks to be ok inside the camera (i can see the crosshair and it looks to be in the centre of the prism...so i believe it's the viewfinder that's in the pain in the a--

I dont really care if the viewfinder makes a Dutch angle when tilting the viewfinder, but i want to see the whole frame when the viewfinder is in normal position. But i can't... I guess that it's the mirror inside the viewfinder that is uneven or off position ...or is it the mask inside that covers the top of the frame?

Thanks!

post-39749-1260967511.jpg

Edited by Niclas Tornblom

Here is a picture of how the frame looks inside the viewfinder. I took out the viewfinder and the prism looks to be ok inside the camera (i can see the crosshair and it looks to be in the centre of the prism...so i believe it's the viewfinder that's in the pain in the a--

I dont really care if the viewfinder makes a Dutch angle when tilting the viewfinder, but i want to see the whole frame when the viewfinder is in normal position. But i can't... I guess that it's the mirror inside the viewfinder that is uneven or off position ...or is it the mask inside that covers the top of the frame?

Thanks!

As for my point of view, a some strange border of ground glass.

I see of additional marks.

You can send me PM on olex.camera@gmail.com and i can send image of original border of ground glass.

from other side, I see of geometrical error, border do not have of right-angled view.

This is do not mask of viewfinder.

Need check of position of all mirrors.

At first, i recommed to take away of viewfinder, you can see ground glass by hole of viewfinder mount.

Can you see of full ground glass ?

If not, need check positions of mirrros inside body,

If yes, you need adjust of position of mirrors inside viewfinder.

The parallax of ground glass at vertical - mirror inside viewfinder.

The paralax of ground glass at horizontal - mirrors iniside body.

But, if you have big value paralax, can be problem with any mirrors.

As for my point of view, a some strange border of ground glass.

I see of additional marks.

You can send me PM on olex.camera@gmail.com and i can send image of original border of ground glass.

from other side, I see of geometrical error, border do not have of right-angled view.

This is do not mask of viewfinder.

Need check of position of all mirrors.

At first, i recommed to take away of viewfinder, you can see ground glass by hole of viewfinder mount.

Can you see of full ground glass ?

If not, need check positions of mirrros inside body,

If yes, you need adjust of position of mirrors inside viewfinder.

The parallax of ground glass at vertical - mirror inside viewfinder.

The paralax of ground glass at horizontal - mirrors iniside body.

But, if you have big value paralax, can be problem with any mirrors.

Thanks Olex! I've send a PM to you.

btw...how much power do i need from the battery to provide the motor with enough power?