Batching in FCP

Nick Centera

Hey, so I just came back from Fotokem yesterday, got my stuff transferred down at a Standard scan to DVcam. When I batched into FCP, the image was very noisy and slightly pixelated. I used a deck to batch it. When I was in the Telecine suite, the image looked much better on their screen ( I know they have very good monitors, but it should look better on my comp). If you have any advice or knowledge of the problem I have here please help me out, I would really appreciate it! Thank you

Nick

Hey, so I just came back from Fotokem yesterday, got my stuff transferred down at a Standard scan to DVcam. When I batched into FCP, the image was very noisy and slightly pixelated. I used a deck to batch it. When I was in the Telecine suite, the image looked much better on their screen ( I know they have very good monitors, but it should look better on my comp). If you have any advice or knowledge of the problem I have here please help me out, I would really appreciate it! Thank you

Nick

Dirty heads on you deck perhaps? How does the image look playing from the deck direct to a TV, is it clean and sharp?

Are your FCP settings set up for DV NTSC?

R,

Dirty heads on you deck perhaps? How does the image look playing from the deck direct to a TV, is it clean and sharp?

Are your FCP settings set up for DV NTSC?

R,

I do not think it is the tape heads, because I have batched on two completely separate decks and gotten the same results. Usually I do not have an out running to a tv so I can not say for sure, but through the small batch window that FCP has, it is not clear.

And yes, I am pretty sure I had set them up for it, but then again when I put the clip onto the timeline, it asked to change the sequence settings which I did. Should I open a new project and set it to DV NTSC then rebatch it? I am not sure if that will really change anything, but let me know what you think.

Nick

Should I open a new project and set it to DV NTSC then rebatch it? I am not sure if that will really change anything, but let me know what you think. Nick

I would. Also, pay little attention to the Batch Capture Window as what you are seeing there is very compressed and once it is in your FCP (Project) should look much better. I know it is expensive, but a FCP Tech Agreement is worth every penny ;)

Have you tried connecting your DVCAM deck to a regular TV and just playing the footage to see how it looks?

I put the DVcam into a pd170 and watched it on an Tv, and it did look kinda bad on that too. But I was thinking it was because it was an HD tv, or lcd. I have had trouble getting a clear image when I connect with Red/white/yellow cables so ya. What do you recommend or think is the issue?

As for what was mentioned above, I do not have the money for anything else. This was a test for a shoe string budget short I am doing in the beginning of January, so money for anything else is really not able to happen.