Music Clip

Olivier Koos

Hi folks,

This is my first post here.

I am a young cinematographer based in Luxembourg.

So much about my self ;)

Let´ s get started, what do you think about my latest music clip?

http://vimeo.com/7993445

It was shot with a glidecam and with the 5dmk2 and zeiss ZF lenses.

Oli

Edited by Olivier Koos

Hi,

It looks pretty good overall. Nice work.

A few things that took me out of it were:

The consistency (angle and intensity) of the rim light. It was the same day and night. It also seemed too hot for the daylight segments.

Glare from the rim light and from the exterior source. A lenser would have been nice there.

The exterior was hot and the faces were overexposed, not terribly but noticeably.

After they picked up the first group of hitchhikers, the camera pulls back and moves along the hood, revealing an angular light source reflection in the windshield and a couple overhead lights reflected in the hood. I know light reflections are hard to deal with on cars and glass, especially if you're moving the camera and not cutting for a long time, but seeing the lights kills the illusion (which I don't think you intended until you pulled back to reveal the studio setup, even though we're supposed to know it's a studio shoot with composite imagery).

Thanks Mike,

yeah I agree with the night to day change, would have loved to have some HMI's on the set to make the change more drastic. Me did not even had enough gells for our tungstons :(

With reflections, I tought of using a Pol filter, but it destroyed a lot of the nice polish of the car.

Something you did not mention but that i hated a lot was the very end with the car, it looks almost like a car commercial :(

I wish I had more time to deal with the lights, but I think that is something we have to always wish for :)

cheers

Oli

Hi,

It looks pretty good overall. Nice work.

A few things that took me out of it were:

The consistency (angle and intensity) of the rim light. It was the same day and night. It also seemed too hot for the daylight segments.

Glare from the rim light and from the exterior source. A lenser would have been nice there.

The exterior was hot and the faces were overexposed, not terribly but noticeably.

After they picked up the first group of hitchhikers, the camera pulls back and moves along the hood, revealing an angular light source reflection in the windshield and a couple overhead lights reflected in the hood. I know light reflections are hard to deal with on cars and glass, especially if you're moving the camera and not cutting for a long time, but seeing the lights kills the illusion (which I don't think you intended until you pulled back to reveal the studio setup, even though we're supposed to know it's a studio shoot with composite imagery).