Too many lens choices

Ted Hinkle

Ok so I've finally broken down and invested in the 5D mark II. But I bought the body only. Now I need to invest in a lens, and I'm having trouble deciding which lens to buy since I can only afford 1 right now. But before I ask for help I should state what my goals are in terms of using this camera and what it's application is.

Yes... I'm another one of those over enhusiastic wedding videographers. However my incentive has always been to give a different look and to give an artistic point of view which is why for the longest time our main stay format was super 8mm. And to a degree it still is. But I've also fallen in love with the results I've seen from the 5D mk II which has led me to this purchase.

Let me also state that I'll be using the 5D mk II mostly for artistic shots while another camera will act as the "safe shot" and also capture sound.

I also have a merlin steadicam that I'd like to make use of with this new camera. Which makes me think I should get a wide angle lens like the 16-35mm 2.8 for wide angle versatility or the 24mm 1.4 since it's fixed and it let's in more light. But on another note I absolutely loved the 85mm 1.2 when I tested it out... geat for low light, shallow DOF, which would be nice for cose-ups getting ready or toasts. Or the 70-200mm 2.8 which would also be good for toasts and although not as good in low light it would probably be best for ceremony shots when I can't get nearly as close as I'd like to. I know, I know I ciould debate about this for years but I need to make a decision so I can start playing around with the camera before my first shoot with it. My photographer friend thinks I should get the 24-70mm lense and play it safe. I don't know what to do... Any thoughts out there???

I should also say that I'll be renting additional lenses for my first shoot. Logic tells me what I need is probably something versatile that not only will I use, but that will also help me get use to the functions of the camera. Which lens should I buy???

I'm not sure exactly what lens you should buy, but something that covers your entire range would be ideal. Probably like the 24-70, or even something closer to an 18-200 would be a good choice. I doubt you'll have time to be swapping out lenses, so it's probably best to just have them all at your finger tips.

The only other thing I can think of is also having a 50mm 1.4 or 1.8, just for those low light situations...It's a good cheap lens and that extra stop is nice.

Edited by Ryan Thomas

Ok well I'm starting to narrow it down a little but still looking for suggestions here's where I've narrowed it down to:

24mm 1.4 - love the low light capabilities easy to mount on merlin. great for dark receptions.

16-35mm 2.8 - versatile wide angle adaptability. Love that I can go as wide as 16mm so it's able to go wider or zoom in closer than the 24mm but not as good in low light. When lens elements are moved I'll have readjust the merlin to counterbalance.

24-70mm 2.8 - reccommended by others, has ability for decent wide shot but can go in closer to 70mm. Probably very safe and most versatile, for some reason I just don't get as excited about it though.

well... I'm pretty sure I'm going with the 24mm 1.4 lens. I think I'm going to get the most use of it even though it's a prime. It's wide enough for most shots and I personally tend to use a lot of wide shots. Also being able to open up to 1.4 is a great advantage that I think I'll be abe to make great use of with so many low lit receptions.

• 1 month later...

I'm with Sam on this one. Have you shot a wedding with a wide prime before? You're gonna miss so many shots. There'll be something going on a ways away, like a couple kissing, and what are you gonna do, run up right next to them? If anything, I think a portrait lens (like around 80mm) would be more useful than a wide. With the zoom, you're covered. You don't really need shallower DoF than f4, and between the 5D's low light capability and the IS, speed shouldn't be an issue. It's a no-brainer, IMO. Definitely pick up a 50mm 1.8 though. I got mine on craigslist for $65. It's as sharp as my L zoom. Another no-brainer.