EX3 + 35MM ADAPTER > BEST STILL CAM LENSES???

Gregory de Maria

Hi guys,

I want to buy 35mm lenses for my EX3. I'm getting a 35 adapter to mount them but obviously the real cine lenses cost a fortune. I was wondering if I could buy great still camera lenses instead?! To lower my cost and even getting amazing dof results.

Any ideas which still cam lenses are great? Could u give me some brands or models?

Thx a lot!!!

• Premium Member

Still lenses are less than ideal for cine work for a number of mechanical reasons... that being said, it comes down often to what people already own or have access to, either Nikon or Canon lenses. Personally, I like Nikon glass, which is reletively inexpensive and gives adequate results, though racking focus is a PAIN. I would also recommend looking into Lomo glass, which is in an OCT19 mount. Lomos are russian made cine lenses which work very well. I have a nice set of Lomos, and the best thing for 'em is they are often only a few hundred dollars a lens. Now they have some issues as well, such as the lack of geared teeth, and markings in meters, but for the price I don't think you'll find a better lens.

Also, still lenses may not be sharp edge to edge, whereas Lomos generally are, and tend to breathe less in focusing than still lenses I've used. Further, the other issue with still cameras lenses is matching, they all will render color a little differently whereas cine glass is degisned to match chromatically a bit more.