Removing KONVAS 1M Groung Glass

Daniel Porto

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering how simple/hard it is to remove the Konvas 1M Groundglass as I would like to mark it for a variety of different aspec ratios.

Thanks in advance!

Standard versions of Konvas-1M, 2M cameras have irremovable ground glass, because, the ground glass made on one side of prism.

The last, rare, editions of Konvas-2M movement had removable ground glass, because, the design of viewfinder track had separately prism and ground glass.

But, this is rare version of 2M movement.

If you have standard 1M, 2M camera, you can order of set additional marking on ground glass.

anamoprhic marking do not need, because, full size of ground glass have anamoprhic size of film gate.

You can need of 1.85:1, 1.66:1 marking, all this possible.

But, you must be ready to have a few frame marks on ground glass.

If you do not need of out border view, you can set of adiitional mask inisde viewfinder.

Edited by Olex Kalynychenko

Standard versions of Konvas-1M, 2M cameras have irremovable ground glass, because, the ground glass made on one side of prism.

OLEX

You are always here to help!

I understand that the 2:40 groundglass markings are not really needed as you can shoot with ANAMORPHIC LENSES and GATE but it is much harder to do handheld with this lenses. Thus if I had 2:40 markings on my standard Academy ground-glass then it would make it much easier.

Looks liek the simplest solution is to put some sort of mask in the viewfinder. Have you done this before or know of any good solutions?

OLEX

You are always here to help!

I understand that the 2:40 groundglass markings are not really needed as you can shoot with ANAMORPHIC LENSES and GATE but it is much harder to do handheld with this lenses. Thus if I had 2:40 markings on my standard Academy ground-glass then it would make it much easier.

Looks liek the simplest solution is to put some sort of mask in the viewfinder. Have you done this before or know of any good solutions?

To use of Konvas with disanamorphic viewfinder and anamorphic lenses very easy.

You can focusing anamorphic lens by ground glass without problem.

But, i must underline, i told about Konvas with disanamorphic viewfinder.

If you do not have disanamoprhic viewfinder or disanamorphic viewfinder adjust wrongly.

The focusing of anamoprhic lens by ground glass do not possible.

About standard ground glass marking.

If you use of anamorphic lens and dianamorphic viewfinder, you do not need any upgrade of ground glass marking, all will OK.

But, If you use spherical lens and wish have 2.4:1 rate, original marking can be problem, because, you will see too much image on ground glass.

Yes, You can upgrade of mask inside of viewfinder, but, you lost of out border part of image.

The out border part of image important, because cameraman must control of direction of moving of actors.

Yes, we upgrade if mask of viewfinder. But, cameramans ask of 1.85:1, 1.66:1 masks.

The mask can be black without out border space and can be with coloured outborder space, or set of special border lines on original mask.

The change if viewfinder mask do not easy and need take to piece of viewfinder.

That's why, you can have one body and a few viewfinders with different masks.

The viewfinders have do not high price at spare parts on ebay.