Is this a Good 16mm camera?

Alessandro Machi

Guest Ian Marks

"it's basically an Italian version of a CP 16"

The name may be Italian but the camera comes from New Jersey. It is nearly identical in function to the non-reflex CP16, with exception of using a standard 12-volt battery instead of the CP's 20-volt unit. Both have an Auricon-derived pulldown movement. I don't believe that the Frezzi is any quieter or more reliable than the corresponding CP model.

I've owned both reflex and non-reflex CP's, and I would caution you against spending too much for any non-reflex model (Frezzolini *or* CP) because you are severely limited in terms of lens choice - you're basically stuck with the so-so Angenieux zoom that comes with the camera because of its built-in reflex finder. The finder I had on mine had only a center ground-glass spot for focussing. If you swap lenses, you lose reflex viewing altogether. The "C" mount of these lenses is a real weak spot too. If you're okay with those limitations, the camera can provide good results.

If you can hold out for a CP16R (the later model camera with a mirror shutter and built-in reflex finder), you will many more options available. In addition to the CP mount lenses, you can use Arriflex and Nikon lenses via an adapter. These cameras can also be modified for Super-16, although the cost of conversion is likely to be more than you paid for the camera.

"it's basically an Italian version of a CP 16"

The name may be Italian but the camera comes from New Jersey. It is nearly identical in function to the non-reflex CP16, with exception of using a standard 12-volt battery instead of the CP's 20-volt unit. Both have an Auricon-derived pulldown movement.  I don't believe that the Frezzi is any quieter or more reliable than the corresponding CP model.

There is an excellent article in a 1976 issue of Filmmaker's Newsletter with the history of the Frezzoloni company.He talks about his first model where he basically took a buzz saw to an Auricon.

Marty

Guest Ian Marks
Awesome info!

What do you think of the final sale price of $1,325.00?

Too much!

There's a nice CP16R kit (that's the later model with the reflex finder incorporated into the body) on Ebay right now with a buy-it-now price of $1,300 - a very reasonable price for a complete, functional package. Item number is #3867751261.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3867751261&rd=1

It's much like the original CP/16, but not hte CP/16R, which has the ability to change lenses.

That beast does not, so you're stuck with THAT lens, which just happens to be a crappy lens. Not sharp, and really, really soft anywhere near wide open.

That's a huge difference, and it's also why I don't recommend getting the original CP/16 with that damned dog-eared lens-viewfinder combo.

When I got my CP16R, I had that same lens (but not with the dogear VF, obviously).

When I got a CP UltraPrime and shot some stuff with it, I sold that Angeniuex so fast it would make your head spin.

Only got about $150. for it too, if that tells you anything (and it should).

Now I have 3 CP Ultra's (9mm, 12.5, 25mm) an Optar Illumina 16mm, and a Nikon/CP adapter so I can use my Nikon primes, and I'm one happy camper!

I also have a Canon 12.5-120 which is pretty sweet too, but not as sharp as the primes.

If you're going to spend over a few hundred for a 16mm camera, it's nuts to not be able to get good glass.

Matt Pacini