Sankor 16D - Removal of "flange"

I have managed to acquire two Sankor 16D anamorphic lenses which are in what can only be described as superb condition. However, one thing is puzzling me.

One of the lenses has what I will describe as a "flange" on the end which is mounted nearest to the standard projector lens. The attached picture shows the two lenses and, in particular, the "flange" to which I refer,

The "flange" makes it impossible to mount the lens on the projector bracket, because it will not pass through the mounting bracket.

Everything about it suggests that the "flange" might unscrew from the barrel of the lens leaving the two lenses identical. It shows no sign of being willing to be "unscrewed" however, and rather than use force with the risk of causing damage, I am wondering if anybody happens to be familiar with the lense and knows whether the "flange" is, indeed, removable.

The barrel of the lens without the "flange" is threaded, and I suspect that the "flange" simply screws onto the barrel thread. Any advice would be gratefully received.

With thanks in anticipation.

Your photography does little to help me answer your question. If they "appear" identical, same #'s stamped on the body of both, is the collar on the one lens is in the same approximate position as the location of the thread on the second? Does the collar or ring have any holes in its periphery which might allow the use of a pin spanner to remove the ring? Have you tried using a strap wrench? The other lens should tell you of the threads are right or left hand. RH most likely.

Your photography does little to help me answer your question. If they "appear" identical, same #'s stamped on the body of both, is the collar on the one lens is in the same approximate position as the location of the thread on the second? Does the collar or ring have any holes in its periphery which might allow the use of a pin spanner to remove the ring? Have you tried using a strap wrench? The other lens should tell you of the threads are right or left hand. RH most likely.

Hi J.

I hope you don't mind me addressing you as "J".

I am sorry that the pic was not so helpful to you. The lenses carry exactly the same markings, except for the individual lens numbers. Looking even more carefully at the two lenses, the "flange" or "collar" seems to be in precisely the position one would expect if it had simply been screwed on to the lense to which it is fitted using the the threads on the lens. Certainly the lens which does not have the "flange" or "collar" has a thread which is right hand or clockwise. There are no holes in the periphery of the "flange" or "collar" and I suspect that it is simply screwed onto the normal lens barrel thread. As I said in my earlier posting, I haven't tried any significant force such as a strap wrench might deliver simply because I wanted to obtain advice first. I will attach what I hope will be more helpful pictures.

Thank you very much for endearouring to assist me.

Regards,

BOB

Fine thread and lack of anything positive to grip. No hole for a pin spanner or a slot for a hook spanner, so a strap wrench is the way to go. I'd put a layer of cloth tape aroung the collar to reduce slipping or maybe even stretch a latex glove over it. If it doesn't surrender easily to the torque from the strap wrench, you might have to break the collar free with a firm tap on the wrench handle. Probably a two person job. If the flanged collar is going to be discarded, you also could file two flats onto it, so you could use a basin wrench or something similar.

Fine thread and lack of anything positive to grip. No hole for a pin spanner or a slot for a hook spanner, so a strap wrench is the way to go. I'd put a layer of cloth tape aroung the collar to reduce slipping or maybe even stretch a latex glove over it. If it doesn't surrender easily to the torque from the strap wrench, you might have to break the collar free with a firm tap on the wrench handle. Probably a two person job. If the flanged collar is going to be discarded, you also could file two flats onto it, so you could use a basin wrench or something similar.

Hi J.

Thank you so much for your advice. So ... two strap wrenches - one on the barrel of the lens and one on the "flange" or "collar" and, with just that little more grip than I could get with my hands, off it came.

Once again, many thanks.

BOB