shooting using a RED one. - Need a sea blue look to the film

Option #1: Do it in post, with the RED it's always iffy to stray away from its native color balance. So any special tweaks you wanna make would be safer to do in post.

Option #2: In Camera, in the Video menu, go to Gain and play around with the Red, Blue & Green gain levels. I've toned down the blue levels this way before in late afternoons when most the light source is coming from the blue sky, but I can't say whether that makes a difference in the noise/grain.

Option #1: Do it in post, with the RED it's always iffy to stray away from its native color balance. So any special tweaks you wanna make would be safer to do in post.

Option #2: In Camera, in the Video menu, go to Gain and play around with the Red, Blue & Green gain levels. I've toned down the blue levels this way before in late afternoons when most the light source is coming from the blue sky, but I can't say whether that makes a difference in the noise/grain.

thanks. BUt are there are no FILTERS for RED?

• Premium Member
thanks. BUt are there are no FILTERS for RED?

Of course, you can use any filters you want on the Red, just like any other format! Jon and John are just saying that you'll be better off shooting with a neutral color balance and adding the blue in post - it's super easy and will give you the cleanest image.

But if you really want, you could set the WB to 3200K-ish and shoot in daylight, use 80 series blue filters, gel your lights blue, whatever you want really.

• Premium Member

The camera is less noisy in daylight balance so if you want to make a daytime scene even bluer, using blue filters on the camera may help avoid having to push the blue channel in post to get there.

However, if all you are talking about is timing the image on the cool side, you can easily do that in post to footage shot in daylight (look at "Che: Part Two" on Blu-ray, it was shot on the Red and timed blue-ish and desaturated for day exterior scenes). If you want to get it to look a bit bluer on the monitor or in dailies, trying setting the camera to, let's say, 4500K instead of 5600K in daylight.

However, in a tungsten-lit situation, you definitely should use blue filter, gels, or daylight-balanced lighting because you don't have as much leeway in post to push a 3200K image even bluer without picking up noise -- because you already pushed it bluer just to get it to look neutral instead of orange.