Lighting bedroom - cool to warm

Hi All!

I'm shooting a scene in two weeks which will be one long take.

The scene is in a bedroom. A man faces a window next to his desk. The camera is set-up facing him, we will see to the back of the room. Picture a hotel room layout. I would like the look to go from this http://www.gmanreviews.com/wp-content/uplo...ael-Douglas.jpg

to http://media.theiapolis.com/d8-i13I-k9-l14...idris-elba.html

This would happen half way when he switches on his desk lamp.

What is the best way of achieving this? What type of lighting would I need and where? How much of this can I do in post and still have the same quality as the images above?

I'm shooting on a DSLR with Nikon prime lens. What's the best setting for ISO, white balance and exposure?

Any input would be much appreciated thanks!

Jabril

Guest Patrick Nuse
Hi All!

The scene is in a bedroom. A man faces ..........

Jabril

The key thing to remember when lighting, especially with what your doing is making sure that your lighting setup simulates or mimics existing light, whether the light is there in real life or not. for instance for the shot of the actor facing the window, is the only light supposed to come from outside?, moonlight perhaps? then you need to light the room to simulate that. probably a very soft cool color for the interior to just come above black so you can recognize the interior on screen. then lighting the actor from outside the window. you'll have to experiment with how hard that light should be for it to look like moonlight. when he turns on the desk lamp. you will probably need something like a Chinese lantern just out of frame over the desk lamp. when you have the exposure right for that, put the desk lamp on a dimmer to adjust it's output so it looks right on camera. there are many factors to consider as far as color temperature goes. I don't know what your shooting on. assuming video you will have to decide where you color balance the camera to work with your cool moonlight and your Chinese lantern. probably in between the two, so the moonlight remains a cool bluish color and the desk lamp and Chinese lantern comes out on the warm side. Cool light coming in the window and warm interior light will sell the fact that it's supposed to be at night. One more thing, you probably want to plug the lantern into a powerstrip along with the desk lamp and leave the desk lamp switched on. then have someone turn on the powerstrip as the actor pretends to turn on the lamp. that will ensure they light up at the same time.

You will set your ISO after you determine what F-Stop you want to use. For instance after determining how much depth of field you want for your shot and select the F-Stop for that. Then set your ISO to get a proper exposure for the lighting setup. I hope this helps. As this is really only the very basics but maybe it's a starting point for a plan. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi All!

The scene is in a bedroom. A man faces a window next to his desk. The camera is set-up facing him, we will see to the back of the room. Picture a hotel room layout. I would like the look to go from this http://www.gmanreviews.com/wp-content/uplo...ael-Douglas.jpg

to http://media.theiapolis.com/d8-i13I-k9-l14...idris-elba.html

This would happen half way when he switches on his desk lamp.

What is the best way of achieving this? What type of lighting would I need and where? How much of this can I do in post and still have the same quality as the images above?

I'm shooting on a DSLR with Nikon prime lens. What's the best setting for ISO, white balance and exposure?

Any input would be much appreciated thanks!

Jabril

Not cheap but effective.

Apollo Gel Scroller

Use a gradient of gels (16 steps max on this product). Note that this device requires a DMX dimmer.