Taping filters directly to the lens?

Riku Naskali

• Premium Member

I have had to tape filters a few times. Generally it is because the matte box is casting a shadow or something.

I just made a few "loops" of camera tape and stuck them around the edge of the lens. I then just pressed the filter onto the tape. Worked fine.

You could also use snot tape, but that will be more prone to leaving residue.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

I usually end up using just plain-old black paper tape, around the edges of the filter and onto the barrel of the lens. The truth is that most filters are pretty robust and don't scratch as easily as lens coatings, so you don't have to be too precious with them.

Taping filters is a last result. But, it is a result. This is how I do it. Take a length of black camera tape. It sticks better than paper but paper will work. Run it around the barrel of the lens so ½? is stuck on the barrel and ½? extends past the front. Take sharp scissors and snip the overhanging tape into 1/3? tabs all the way around the lens. Spread the tabs out away from the lens. Take four tabs that are equidistant from each other, fold them to the center of the lens and tape them to the edge of the lens but not long enough to touch the lens. The four tabs will protect the filter from scratching by the lens filter ring. Spread the remaining tabs wide and carefully touch the filter to the front of the lens. Push the tabs tightly onto the back of the filter. Although this process is a little time consuming it will hold the filter firmly and safely under pretty rough treatment.