Do It Yourself

Keneu Luca

Some of you may recall a little while back I posted a link to an ebay auction for an ARRI shoulder pad. It was a simple shoulder pad to cushion your shoulder when doing handheld work. The seller's starting bid was $500. For a shoulder pad.

You know those sectional padded dividers (NOT pick-n-pluck foam) that have velcro and come with Pelican cases - they make EXCELLENT shoulder pads.

I then noticed an ebay ad for an Arriflex Niner AKS lens light. It sold for $140. That seemed unnecessarily high to me. I did a few minutes of searching and found this on ebay. I won it for $21 including shipping.

Docryphython-vi.jpg

It's sold here as well:

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Dorcy_Py...ht_41-1440.php#

Then, about a month ago, I saw an ad on craigslist where someone had made a video-assist for his camera. It was made from a lipstick camera and 3" LCD monitor. He said he clamped it to the eyepiece with success. He even invited me to come check it out with my ARRI SR where he would allow a complete demonstration. Unfortunately my camera was away being serviced.

Now I had previously considered trying this before myself. As I know others have.

The question is...have any of you?

Seems to me the best camera to use would be a SONY CIGAR cam. And I would use a 9" LCD. But what about cables. Anyone know what wires or cables would be needed for the sony cigar cam? And then there's the issue of the lens. What would the optimum lens on the cigar cam need to be to accurately view through the ARRI viewfinder.

This all may not be worth it in the end. That's what I'm trying to find out.

• 2 weeks later...
Then, about a month ago, I saw an ad on craigslist where someone had made a video-assist for his camera. It was made from a lipstick camera and 3" LCD monitor. He said he clamped it to the eyepiece with success. He even invited me to come check it out with my ARRI SR where he would allow a complete demonstration. Unfortunately my camera was away being serviced.

Now I had previously considered trying this before myself. As I know others have.

The question is...have any of you?

Seems to me the best camera to use would be a SONY CIGAR cam. And I would use a 9" LCD. But what about cables. Anyone know what wires or cables would be needed for the sony cigar cam? And then there's the issue of the lens. What would the optimum lens on the cigar cam need to be to accurately view through the ARRI viewfinder.

This all may not be worth it in the end. That's what I'm trying to find out.

I built one of these for my cm3 awhile back. If you like, I can go dig it out and take some photos for you. I used one of those miniature square-formed board cams that use tiny lenses and have composite video out. I ran it into a cheap small lcd monitor. I think you would need around an 8mm lens on the tiny cam to get a full image through the eyepiece; at least that is what I think I used for my cm3, but it took a bit of experimenting to get it right.