headlight gag

Ian Coad

i have an image in mind for this scene that isn't far off the effect seen so frequently in bladerunner. a character crawls across a bed to turn on a televsion because they can't sleep. behind them is a window, i want to hit them with a headlight gag as they are halfway down the bed, sihlouetting the character's body. i know that i should probably use a rig with two lights - i was thinking source 4's. and using an oil based haze machine to make the light beams more tangible.

i've got some ideas about how to rig and mount the lights, my only question is whether to have them both mounted on something - which then turns, or to simply move them independently and match their panning motion. i hope this makes sense.

i've love any advice on how to pull this off.

as far as the story is concerned its about a boy in a trailer park, i can't see xenons being fitting for this environment. these headlights would have to be motivated by something like an old truck or a junky car.

thanks very much.

- ian.

Hi,

I've done this a couple of times and it's super simple.

Make a mini T-Bar rig (Inch and 1/8 stand, Barrel Clamp and then a 6 Ft scaff bar) and rig either a couple of 650's or 1k's on the cross bar. Have the Barrel clamp loose and just pan it over your scene. It helps to have these lamps doubled up into a dimmer for more control so as you pan it onto the scene come up on the slider or vice versa.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, James.