Should I buy a Arriflex 16SR I ?

Alan Hill

Hello,

I am able to buy a 16sr I, with German Electronics, 10-100mm Ziess (f2.9) T3.1 lens, 2 magazines, 2 batteries an the usual grips, rings, matte box.

The question is: What is it worth paying for this camera given that it is setup for 1.33 regular 16? I know that it can be converted to Super 16 for about $4000, but then the question becomes: What is an Arri SR16 Super 16 worth? More than $5,000, $6,000? With the German electronics, it's pretty close to being an SRII. But is it worth it?

It seems like it might be a big risk to invest the money to upgrade, what with digital seemingly barking at the door (Yeah, I know HD has been "on the verge of taking over since the early 1980s). The RED camera people seem to be getting to within about 5-10 years of replacing the usefulness of a nice 16mm camera.

Besides the sentimental/artistic reasons, does it make economical sense at this point in the game?

Does anyone know of a lab that could do telecine on regular 16mm and crop the top and bottom to make a 16:9 transfer? I know this method wastes a lot of the negative, but $4,000 (Conversion charge) would buy a lot of film and processing...

What do you guys think?

Alan