Exposure for Super8 fastmotion

Hi!

A very basic question, I will shoot Super8 in 6 fps to get a certain effect. As it's quite a while since I shot on film I can't remember if I'm suppose to set the f-stop 3 times under the correct exposure (6 x 3 = 24). Or do I punch in fps into the lightmeter, which then should give me the correct exposure for the fps I'm using. I do not want to mess up on exposure!

Help would be much appreciated!

6x3=18. 6x4=24. Uncorrected, your exposure would be 2 stops over.

If your meter will read for 6fps, fine. Otherwise take a reading for 24 and stop down 2 stops.

Yes, ofcourse. What I meant to write was 8 fps. What I dont't understand is, if I shoot a third of normal speed, why don't I underexpose three stops?

Yes, ofcourse. What I meant to write was 8 fps. What I dont't understand is, if I shoot a third of normal speed, why don't I underexpose three stops?

I'm still very much interested in this, and is there somewhere on the web I can read up some more on these basic aspects of slowmotion/fastmotion exposure?

The relationship between aperture and shutter speed is reciprocal- open the aperture and you need to reduce the shutter speed, and vice versa.

When you undercrank, the shutter speed increases, so you stop down. 24 down to 8 fps is a factor of 3, or about 1.7 stops, a stop being a difference in exposure of 2x. 3 stops would be a factor of 2x2x2=8, not 3.

A basic book on photography is what you need. Perhaps another poster will recommend a resource.

I can only recommend this, the only technical photography book I have ever bought.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Basic-Photography-...d/dp/0240515927

Apart from his 'Advanced Photography'

The relationship between aperture and shutter speed is reciprocal- open the aperture and you need to reduce the shutter speed, and vice versa.

When you undercrank, the shutter speed increases, so you stop down. 24 down to 8 fps is a factor of 3, or about 1.7 stops, a stop being a difference in exposure of 2x. 3 stops would be a factor of 2x2x2=8, not 3.

A basic book on photography is what you need. Perhaps another poster will recommend a resource.

I can only recommend this, the only technical photography book I have ever bought.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Basic-Photography-...d/dp/0240515927

Apart from his 'Advanced Photography'

Great! Thank you!

Edited by Christopher Norin