Bolex speed dial stuck

andre coleman

Need to ascertain is it simply the dial stuck, the linkage of it to the governor stuck or the governor itself...

After checking the dial (unscrew it) and finding nothing there it'll at least mean taking off the turret and loosing pull down/shutter sync... At the worst you'll need full access which means breaking all the lovely factory light seals.

Hello Bolex tech :(

Need to ascertain is it simply the dial stuck, the linkage of it to the governor stuck or the governor itself...

After checking the dial (unscrew it) and finding nothing there it'll at least mean taking off the turret and loosing pull down/shutter sync... At the worst you'll need full access which means breaking all the lovely factory light seals.

Hello Bolex tech :(

Okay, how do I remove the turret, I have a non-reflex which works fine that I can use for parts. The turret also seems a little tight when I move it maybe the two issues are connected?? So this camera may not be worth the trouble??

Okay, how do I remove the turret, I have a non-reflex which works fine that I can use for parts. The turret also seems a little tight when I move it maybe the two issues are connected?? So this camera may not be worth the trouble??

Firstly, some parts interchangable, some not ...

Turret tight and governor locked not likely connected, at least not mechanically - buuuuut, you could be looking at a more system wide seize (has the camera been swimming in the sea recently? like my RX4 did pre my owning it).

Removing the turret - I dont have the patience to type out the instructions nor a camera in front of me to remind me all the steps, but without a reasonable conceptual knowledge of what all the bits do you will likely get it apart easy enough (just loosen screws when ever you see them!) but you'll fail to get it back together with the correct shutter/pull down timing - and probably scratch some irreplaceable glass in the process (ouch!). Once the turret is off you only have a minimal view of the governor anyway, which someone who knew what to look for might be able to spot an issue, but without having seen how it should work you're just gonna be staring at brass. The next step is a biggy, it means opening it fully, you have to strip the interface side then crack all the light seals, all the time wondering if it's hard to pull off because the seals are tough or you've forgotten a screw ... Once you've cracked the light sealant you wonder how the flip you're gonna seal it again (PVA, photocopier toner and an opthalmic syringe).

I've done it with no instruction so maybe you can too - but get ready to have a pile of bits, bloodied fingers and the taste of tears - quite serious about that ! - you're getting into 'sh!t, well I may as well super 16 it now that I've done all this' - this is of course once you've discovered an actual broken part, and may have to pay the same price for the part direct from bolex as another complete ebay RX5.

BOLEX TECH ;)

Going to send it out tomorrow - you have convinced me. It seems to run okay after i crank it. Just cant change film speed which means I can't add a motor and since I just got it, I probably should have it checked out.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by andre coleman

Going to send it out tomorrow - you have convinced me. It seems to run okay after i crank it. Just cant change film speed which means I can't add a motor and since I just got it, I probably should have it checked out.

Thank you for your help.

Its been ages since I used a wind up - hmmm, motors might work when in O (or is it MOT mode ?) - they'll just be fighting the governor a bit more if it stays connected, but yeh - best send it off to a tech ;)